Search the forum,

Discuss Floorstanding fire not screwed to wall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyle

Hi Guys n Gals,
I saw a floorstanding radiant fire today (with my engineer), the fires only means of support was obviously its legs, the gas pipe and the spigot thru the closure plate. There was, and has never been any screws securing it to the tiled wall since it was installed
( must be 15-20 years ). My engineer just put NCS, recommend screws used to attach fire to wall on cp12. I would have thought it warranted an AR, what do you guys think,
Thankyou,,,,,,Kyle.

there isnt a requirement to fix a floor standing fire to a wall, but it is better to do so, as it is possible to pull it forward, the screw holes are to remove the feet and fix it to the wall,

Did you discuss this with your engineer ? What did he/she say ? If you didnt ask then you are wasting your time watching

Hi,
I did ask about how he classified the situation. He didnt tell me it wasn't a requirement to fix a floorstanding fire to the wall. I like to get several opinions. I feel much better when I hear several people on here agree with each other about an issue.,,THX

Last edited by a moderator:
You have seen your engineers Gas Safe Card . You aint seen any of ours !!
Sorry just that way out today

Hi

every flued appliance must be fixed securely to the flue.... this also includes fires with feet,
shall we start pipeing them in with rubber hoses next lol.

gb-gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Thx GB GAS, so would you have AR the appliance and noted that fire is recommended to be screwed to wall. This was a Landlords safety check. THX

Kyle , you originally thought it should be AR . Why did you think this ? Im not being funny , far from it I just want you guys to think a bit, post what and why, and then lets discuss it . IT will benefit you far more than just taking on board what we say . One day you are gonna be on a job on your own with a difficult and potentially dangerous situation to sort out .
As I said Im not being funny , Im trying to get you thinking and help.
You thought AR because ........

Hi,
Thats ok, Good point I suppose. I thought it was AR because the fire is not secured to the wall, if a child was to pull the fire with very little force, it could create a very dangerous situation. My thinking was that this is only a risk, not something happening now hence AR.
Like I said earlier, it had been like this for 15 years or so, but it is still , in my eyes , something that might/could happen.
Hope that explains, kyle.

,i would have thought a freestanding gas fire should be fixed against the wall to stop someone pulling it away from the wall not to mention causing a gas leak

:DThere you go.
If there were MIs that indicated that the fire need not be screwed back , I would have NCS. If no MIs I would AR for your reasons : may in the future constitute a danger to life or property
What do you think of this ?

Last edited:
This has most definitely been incorrectly classified.
The fire is clearly not secure and potentially unsafe. Should have been classified AR.

I think so Graham. I personally would have AR 'd it . Even if MIs were there . WE live in a different world now , some of these old appliances are OK but some of them you do need to think about who is using them and where they are. In this case in rented , not fastened back AR for me

i would have just secured it back to the wall,5 mins job done.noted the fault/concern on cert and work carried out to rectify,simples.

i would have just secured it back to the wall,5 mins job done.noted the fault/concern on cert and work carried out to rectify,simples.
Well, maybe 10min if don't have decent tile drill in yer box. :)

as someone pointed out some gas appliances dont fit the situation ,i have see gas fires in bathrooms before , but anything that could be at risk had to be addressed, for example a damper plate on a gas fire which can be removed and reinstalled tenant comes back from pub puts fire on game over

At the end of the day you are the engineer on site, if you are the last person there and you dont flag something up which does cause a problem later on then it is you who will get it in the neck. It is your livlihood and someones safety you are talking about

i could not agree more ,i remember calling corgi technical and they were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Floorstanding fire not screwed to wall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
I'm looking for a gas safe registered engineer (previously Corgi registered) to remove the existing gas pipe and install a 28mm gas pipe from the meter to a new boiler and tee to a cooker and fire. I am not asking for it to be connected to the boiler, just to end where the boiler will be...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
P
Hi, has anyone done any insurance work before? Been called out to look at an un occupied property which has smoke damage because of a fridge fire in the kitchen. need new gas hob and the radiants on the gas fire on the back boiler need replacing and was going to quote for a full service of the...
Replies
Views
T
I removed a wall mounted radiant fire today while doing a landlords safety insp. The builders opening had been made smaller to fit the closure plate by using bricks up both sides but it just had plasterboard across the top. - (giving a plasterboard only covering of about 2' wide by 1 1/2'...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
T
Recently registered and need to know what form you experienced guys would use when the job is disconnecting a hob and capping the pipe off for good as being replaced with electric hob. The only other gas appliance in the property is a combi which is all good as well as the rest of the pipework...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
M
hi all , new to forum and need a bit of advice , had a new flavel misermatic fire installed yesterday , by a reg gas fitter , he said we needed to take the pepper pot off the chimney stack as it should not be on there , but this has been there for over 20 odd years and the stack has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock