Search the forum,

Discuss Flue cement keeps cracking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzt

Esteemed
Has anyone got any advice on how to stop flue cement cracking. I used regin 1200 degrees cement but cracked.

edt dopey me :p

you on about fire cement

normally due to air bubbles or movement in the flue

Last edited:
I mean sealing the flue to the boiler, i know some poeple use high temp silicone. I have used fire cement but it keeps cracking.

Wet the surface or cord that you are putting the fire cement against before you start. Maybe mix some water with fire cement also, but not much, - just enough to make it slightly damp. Too much water will also cause bubbles or contraction.
Put oil boiler on for half a minute, just enough to make flue warm and switch off and leave to harden. (if solid fuel, then just a tiny fire started if possible)
Try the special fire cement that comes in tubes for gun. It has flexibility and although expensive, it is very handy.
If you are sealing any flues on boilers or areas that will only get temperatures of 300 degrees, or less, then use heat resist silicone. Ordinary silicone can usually take 200 degrees, but check the MIs

What sort of boiler and heat will the fire cement be for?

The flue gas temp 275 to 300 deg on analyser so i thought silicone my perish quickly so i thought the 1200 degree regin fire cement would be the answer.

It isn't too hot really, but sort of at the limit of heat resist silicone in my opinion. I do find it disintegrates on high heat areas eventually. But will last forever on lower heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue cement keeps cracking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock