Search the forum,

Discuss Flue/Condendsation pipe Dripping when it rains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Torrent

HI

I was hoping someone might be able to assist.

I have just had an open vent system changes to a combi boiler. Which is all fine and it looks like it was done well by the installers.

The problem I have is that prior to the change in boiler, when it rained heavily ,water would find its way down this flue pipe, through the old boiler and drip onto the counter below. This was quite heavy and I needed buckets to stop it getting water everywhere.
The sound I always heard was from the water hitting my microwave.

My plumbers said this was probably due to a worn/ degraded seal on the flue. Which they fully replaced.

Since it has been changed there is no leaking from the boiler onto the counter. However when it rains I can still hear the dripping. But now instead of the sound is inside the flue pipe itself. It is at the same tempo as before and when I place my hand on the flue, I can feel a vibration in time with the sound.

It is as though the water is coming down the flue, to a certain point and then dripping from the top of the flue pipe onto he bottom of the flue pipe. Making a loud sound as it does it.

Literally sometimes I can tell its raining outside, even when teh curtain are closed because of this banging sound.

My concern is really, where is that water going? is there potential damage that could be happening inside this now sealed system.

It is also quite loud an very annoying.

I have attached a ling to a youtube video I took where you can clearly hear the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0qnOiUXIM&feature=youtu.be

Has anyone ever come across anything like this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

utube link is private

oops. Sorry.
I made it public now.
And not to worry, I am definately getting them back to fix it. Just dont want them passing the buck if it their responsibility... which I am sure it is. Luckily I havent paid them yet.

what the piece of copper pipe there for ? and how long is the flue (roughly)

and shouldn't be making that sound when raining

sounds like a leaky gutter dripping straight onto flue outlet.

that bit of copper looks suspiciously like a make do flue support

The copper pipe is supporting the flue. I have already asked them to change this to something proper. ( I was surpised when I saw that too )

The flue goes up vertically about 70 cm, takes a 40 cm right angle turn horizontally and then 1 m 20 cm length angles up to the exterior wall.

The copper pipe is supporting the flue. I have already asked them to change this to something proper. ( I was surpised when I saw that too )

The flue goes up vertically about 70 cm, takes a 40 cm right angle turn horizontally and then 1 m 20 cm length angles up to the exterior wall.

needs two clips on it

what boiler is it and could you take a pic of the flue outside

its a valliant ecotec pro24 unit.
a picture i can do, but will have to wait till the morning

thanks so much for your help with this.

Does sound like a gutter joint leaking onto it. You will need to go outside when it's raining and see if rain water is being directed onto it from somewhere.

so, based on your posts, it looks like the drain at the top of the building is blocked and is probably overflowing during heavy rain. There is a plant growing in the guttering, and i can see the moss has been washed away over where the flue is on the wall.
I would think this is the most likely cause? and would explain why it only happen in heavy rain
i will ask the management company to resolve this.... whoever they hire to clean the guttering obviously did a crap job.
is there some way i can prevent this from happening again in the. future? I am not in charge of cleaning the gutterings, and this seems like it could easily happen again.

drain (1).jpg
drain (2).jpg
drain (3).jpg
drain (4).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue/Condendsation pipe Dripping when it rains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock