Search the forum,

Discuss FLUX in new system install - how to get rid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Rose

A full system install in a new build (4 weeks ago) and we are still getting turquoise flux in the tap filters etc....
how long does it take to get rid of this stuff? shouldn't the plumber get rid of this before he installs taps / showers etc.....

Needs to be flushed out with water. Plumber should of done it, but no regulations on it. Try both taps open on bath for 10-15 minutes. hopefully this will get rid.

As above, no reg on it, usually running the taps for a while will do the job, nothing else the plumber could have done, but run taps.

"The Byelaws state that every water system shall be flushed out before it is used.

This means every new installation, alteration, extension or any maintenance to existing installations is required to be thoroughly flushed to remove debris."

the quote above is taken from the Water Bye-Laws, so it is covered in the Regs, there is no way a properly fitted system still has flux in it after 4 weeks, get the plumber back to check it out, there was a very severe case a right few yrs ago where a plumbing contractor went out of business, granted the job was a biggie (hospital or care home etc) when the plumbers were dipping the pipe ends in the flux for speed/laziness, and the whole lot had to be ripped out and changed b another contractor

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this a few weeks ago and it wasn't due to flux ( I had used mapress).
It was due to an old main run in copper and the extra flow had caused the lining of the walls to break away. Cleared after about an hour of flushing and hasn't comeback since

James Rose, Would this turquoise looking stuff in the filters be little solid bits?

If so it is most likely to be insulation from the cylinder (if indeed you have one). This very often happens
when fitting an immersion heater without making sure bits dont drop in when cleaning the seating.

If that is the case then it is just a case of clearing the filters till the problem stops.

Worst case is if there are large pieces which can catch in isolating valves or narrow flexi pipes.

Kirkgas how do you flush out the hot and cold after fitting a new boiler or piping a bathroom??

before any showers or fittings are fitted a temp connection should be made and the water flushed through full bore, TBH on a properly fitted system the flux should be minimal, however i have seen people putting flux on the pipe with a shovel, then half filling the fittingd, no wonder their systems get polluted

But you do the same as all of us though, turn on the taps. I have never seen anybody flush out the water pipes. I have only ever done it when installing cold mains, due to pebbles in feeds to new build properties.

I have seen the very same fitters Kirkgas, them who cannot be bothered to buy a flux brush, I knew a guy who used his finger to flux most joints.

But you do the same as all of us though, turn on the taps. I have never seen anybody flush out the water pipes. I have only ever done it when installing cold mains, due to pebbles in feeds to new build properties.

"DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO" springs to mind, but in saying that i use minimal flux in a house, therefore extra flushing not usually required with my work!!!!!!!!!!

i usually connect a bit of hep with a valve on the end to the tail coming out of the wall for a shower and flush that through before i connect a shower, but never really found the need to do it for taps

James Rose, Would this turquoise looking stuff in the filters be little solid bits?

If so it is most likely to be insulation from the cylinder (if indeed you have one). This very often happens
when fitting an immersion heater without making sure bits dont drop in when cleaning the seating.

If that is the case then it is just a case of clearing the filters till the problem stops.

Worst case is if there are large pieces which can catch in isolating valves or narrow flexi pipes.

heliotrope - yes these blue bits are solid to look at then they crumble when pressed or squeezed !
They have been ending up in all the tap heads so i have been clearing with toothbrush.
Also flexi hoses on all taps here ! and i suppose it would be wise to un-couple all shower heads and massage jets to clear out and run through.

Plumber back here at 8am tomorrow - fingers crossed !

I have seen the very same fitters Kirkgas, them who cannot be bothered to buy a flux brush, I knew a guy who used his finger to flux most joints.

For me its not the brush thats the problem its trying to keep it clean so you don't get dirt in the fitting.

I used to use the coill of solder dipped in the flux and run round the pipe/fitting...that was years ago mind

what has probably happend is that after the 1st fix installation then the second fix the pipework has layed unused for a while (no water supply)and excessive flux has been left to degrade/oxidize. The pipework should have been flushed after the 1st fix and then flushed after the second fix. Excessive boss white use can also cause major problems with valves anf fixtures.

There have been cases with new builds where pipework had been left with debris inside for very long periods and major problems where encountered after water was finally connected needing complete repipes. im unsure without reading the water regs book but in these cases you need to decontaminate the pipework before commissioning of the system.

Must say I have never had that problem, I just leave the brush in the flux pot.

i drilled a hole in the lid of the flux for the brush to go in so the lid can be screwed back on to keep the flux clean, and as long as you keep buying the same flux you just swap lids when the tub is empty

I would say thats what we all do, I warm up a bit of copper pipe though, saves getting bits from the drill in the flux.

You warm up a bit of copper with your blow torch get the piece of plastic you want a hole in and push it through. Some do it on CWSCs but this isn't advisable as it does weaken the molecular structure of the plastic and cause it (in worst case scenario) to split. Also you have to then file off all the plastic that was pushed through and get it out. Best to just use one of those drill bits (The name has just slipped out my head, it'll come to me later, everyone will know what I mean) that has a guide bit then a circle bit with sharp teeth to cut a perfect hole in it :)

And what is the best brush to use? Most cheap brushes fall apart.

Well i use my finger. Have done for near 40 years and its still there.
Hate using brushes as it slaps too much on and i ain't got the time to play at being Picasso.

I get Rothengerger brushes from city plumbing, but as long as you dont do what i do( put some more flux to a soldered joint, to make the solder run again) they will last a while, the best ones are the ones with no metal holding the brush hair on as these rot away.

Hate using brushes as it slaps too much on and i ain't got the time to play at being Picasso.

College used to go mad at me for using my finger, didn't do it again after picking up the stuff that cleans the pipe and fitting itself!

My last tub of La co didnt have one? but it did come from screw fix.
The big tubs dont have one but the smaller standard ones should have one. I got mine from Screw Fix too but that was last year.

You dont do much 8 or 10mm work then?
A mate I know uses his pinky too, must admit I much prefer a nice fine flux brush.

I would say thats what we all do, I warm up a bit of copper pipe though, saves getting bits from the drill in the flux.

in this day and age you need to do a risk assessment before you do this in case the heat causes toxic fumes, you also need a hot work permit to heat the pipe with a blow lamp

I get Rothengerger brushes from city plumbing, but as long as you dont do what i do( put some more flux to a soldered joint, to make the solder run again) they will last a while, the best ones are the ones with no metal holding the brush hair on as these rot away.

so something like this, but without the metal?
brush-250x250.jpg

as an apprentice i copied the guy i worked with and used my finger to apply powerflow. After a few weeks the skin on my finger/s started to peel off. i now use my solder, only use a brush on 28-42mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to FLUX in new system install - how to get rid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock