Search the forum,

Discuss Fog Horn noise when using Hot Water - Pressure Reducing Valve recently replaced in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back the expansion vessel from the mains water supply failed and I had the vessel and the pressure reducing valve replaced. As part of the replacement the expansion vessel was fitted with a copper tube instead of the flexible hose that was originally used.

Since the work was done we are getting a fairly loud "fog horn" noise, this only occurs when we use hot water and only after we haven't used the hot water for a period of a few hours, i.e. if it happens once in the morning it won't happen until later in the evening.

I've contacted the engineer that fitted the work and I'm hoping he can come round sometime soon to fix the problem, but is there anything that I can to that might reduce the noise. I live in a small block of flats and although no one has mentioned anything I'm fairly sure the early morning "Fog horn" noise when I jump in the shower is annoying some people.

I thought reducing the stop-cock might help but it seems to have no effect.
I'm hoping it would be fairly easy to fix, either air in the pipes somewhere or a minor adjustment on the pressure reducing valve, I'm assuming worst case the vessel or valve might have failed and needs replacing again.

What type of hot water system do you have?
Is it fed from a tank or is it mains fed, (unvented)?

I'm fairly confident its an unvented hot water system, the water tank has "unvented storage cylinder" on it and as far as I'm aware there isn't any cold water storage in the block of flats its fed straight from the mains.

It could be one of a few things but you need a G3 compliant engineer to sort this for you, it's not a DIY job i'm afraid.
Turning the stop tap down will not make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fog Horn noise when using Hot Water - Pressure Reducing Valve recently replaced in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs mostly at night. I'm sharing video showing the problem: So far we changed: 1. Expansion vessel 2. Pump 3. Water pressure gauge - analogue sensor...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals. We've been in our house for over 3 years now, when we moved in the hot water pressure was pretty good (confirmed by a retired plumber family friend)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock