Search the forum,

Discuss Following BG powerflush rads still not getting hot. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Elderly customer with a 10 rad system. Last 2 rads on system (downstairs) were not getting hot at all. Has contract with BG, they came round, turned off some rads upstairs and downstairs all got hot but said needs powerflush and new pump.

Powerflush carried out then rads were worse.

Most not getting to temperature.

Called me. I was unable to change pump speed on apha2.

Put new pump in, everything heating up. Sorted.

Or so I thought, called back this morning last rad on system lukewarm at best. Couple of other rads not reaching a decent temp.

Some rads upstairs have trv's rest of rads no trv's.

Boiler is new. Pump is new.

Its not a big house, cold feed not blocked.

All the rads have been red hot all at the same time and run fine for 2 days.
It is a very old system. Possibly 50 years old.

On the top floor there is a bedroom cupboard, I removed a panel and found what is like another loft space above the living room. This is where there are heating pipes coming from under the bathroom floor, feeding the bedroom, and drops down for the last 2 rads on circuit

This is all in 15mm. The last 2 rads, the flow pipe is piping hot but not getting through the rads.

This might sound a bit vague but does it sound like a balancing issue or a pipe size issue or something else?

I have left them a couple of small heaters as I didnt have time to investigate fully tonight but hoping to get back saturday.

1st he as paid for BG to do the job should have got them back to sort it out sounds like they have-not done job correctly , more than likely pushed dirt around that part of the system for what BG charge for this service I would be on to them to get it sorted, why is he spending out on a private plumber (You) when on a BG contract

I think they have lost faith in bg and are cancelling them.

I said they would have been better just having it all repiped. It's all on drops downstairs and only 4 rads upstairs. Wouldnt be massive amounts of disruption.

If its still not working I would be asking for my money back as it ever worked to full heat, coming across this more & more BG insurance jobs not getting done right, telling customer a load of C**P and getting away with it, when are people going to realise that BG are stitching them up big time

I'm going round on the weekend, I'm going to drain the system, cut some sections of pipe out and see how bad it is, If it is bad I will be advising a repipe.

Apologies for the delay.

I went round and balanced the system, everything was fine for a couple of days, then the last 2 rads stopped working. Now the 2nd to last is ok but last one is not.

Now now hw us not reaching temperature, only getting lukewarm. Turning cylinder stat up and down, activates and shuts off 2 port as you'd expect but cust saying water is only getting lukewarm. F and r through cylinder red hot.

Did u measure the temperature of the hot water at couple outlets while the flow n return were red hot as I'd be setting stat at 65 leave hw on while I tweaked the balancing on the rads slightly more and once done that take a reading on your hw temp to see exactly what they are getting in relation to what it should be . Regarding the rads if the systems old n shitty then that extra tweek might be needed with balancing especially with drops as more work for el pumpo ...

Did u measure the temperature of the hot water at couple outlets while the flow n return were red hot as I'd be setting stat at 65 leave hw on while I tweaked the balancing on the rads slightly more and once done that take a reading on your hw temp to see exactly what they are getting in relation to what it should be . Regarding the rads if the systems old n shitty then that extra tweek might be needed with balancing especially with drops as more work for el pumpo .

Thanks for the reply. I didn't check hw temp before as there hadn't been an issue so didn't think about it. Hw went cold 3 days ago approx 5 days after balancing. Have set hw at 65 but cust is describing as tepid.

Have not read all the posts so excuse my ignorance sounds like a partial blockage somewhere maybe. Or a 2 port valve not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Following BG powerflush rads still not getting hot. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock