Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Freestanding bath question in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Christopher Cox

Christopher Cox New Member

Hi All,

I've recently just purchased a new house that has a freestanding bath in the main bathroom.

I have however noticed that the bath is resting on the screws that I assume are meant to be locked into the floor and adjusted to level the bath.

The issue is that the bathroom as underfloor heating. I assuming the previous owner has left the bath like this as they cannot screw it into the floor.

I do not want to use thew bath as I imagine that the weight of the bath + water would caused damage to the floor as the bath is resting on four small screws.

What would be the best solution to resolve this issue?

Many thanks,

Chris 20180801_073002.jpg 20180801_073002.jpg 20180801_073002.jpg 20180801_073002.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There only used for levelling

Looks like they've tried to raise the bath on them which there not designed for

Best solution is to reinstall the bath correctly and depending on how level the floor is you might not need to install the levelling bolts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christopher Cox

Thanks Shaun,

I am concerned that the floor is not level as it is a very old house. What would be the best solution if the floor was not level?

4. ShaunCorbs

Depends how much it was out but you could make some nice round wooden blocks slightly larger than the feet so the feet sit on them

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Pop a long spirit level on the floor length and width ways to the bath and have a look Mate. It probably is out, but you maybe surprised.:)

6. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber Top Contributor!!

Just fill the bath with a bit of water & see how she drains away.
    Are the screws ruffly the same length out of the feet??
    Is there any height adjustment on the bath waste ? Pic if not sure.

7. Christopher Cox

So it looks like these screws are being used to level the bath as the floor is uneven. The screws are set at two different heights for each pair of feet.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be to be honest.

Would removing the screws and replacing them with wooden blocks at different heights work? Would it be safe?

8. ShaunCorbs

Yes aslong as the blocks are made out of something hard consult a wood guy

9. Christopher Cox

Thanks Shaun.

I have very little woodwork/carpentry experience, so I'll have to try and find a third party solution.

10. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber Top Contributor!!

Maybe have some wooden pads made up (different thickness but same patten) not sure if you can get teak any more but it will need to be something dense & water resistant. Remove the bolts & replace with the pads to spread the load.
    Can we see what you come up with please Chris?

11. Christopher Cox

I'll be sure to post the results with the details of the materials used etc.

• Like Like x 1