Search the forum,

Discuss Frozen condensate pipe prevention in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the cold weather has passed it's time to sort out what I do to prevent a repeat of the frozen condensate pipe next year.

I have a newly installed Worcester combi boiler. The condensate pipe drains into an external soil stack (1960s property). External condensate pipe about metre long with a generous fall.

How can I prevent a repeat in future years.

The Worcester CondenseSure Condensate Siphon seems to be a possible solution.

Does anyone have experience of these?

Are there other ways?

Views please.

Many thanks.

Any pics of the insulation atm ?

40mm waste pipe insulated with trace heating you can switch on at minus temps

Now that the cold weather has passed it's time to sort out what I do to prevent a repeat of the frozen condensate pipe next year.

I have a newly installed Worcester combi boiler. The condensate pipe drains into an external soil stack (1960s property). External condensate pipe about metre long with a generous fall.

How can I prevent a repeat in future years.

The Worcester CondenseSure Condensate Siphon seems to be a possible solution.

Does anyone have experience of these?

Are there other ways?

Views please.

Many thanks.

What size is current pipe?

its very good but needs a flow pipe to fix onto

Any chance of running the condensate internally to a waste outlet? Problem solved if you can.

3 realistic choices but let's look at why first.

Condensate pipes freeze because the sensible heat contained in a few drops of water are lost in an instant. There simply isn't the volume to hold much heat. The advice (originally by Corgi) to install a larger dia pipe for it to discharge into actually made things worse because the larger dia pipes encourage their own circulatory air currents making the sensible heat loss faster.

Insulation of a smaller pipe simply increases the time taken to lose heat. However even with the best of insulation, as we are talking such tiny amounts, a 50% improvement still amounts to naff all.

To stop it you have three realistic options:
1 - redirect it inside the house
2 - fit a condensate pump so that the discharge contains far more water (heat mass) so will not freeze so readily.
3 - Fit trace heating. This is the ONLY guaranteed way because it replaces the sensible heat lost by injecting replacement heat keeping the water liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Frozen condensate pipe prevention in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock