Search the forum,

Discuss gas meter flexible connections ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
im doing a boiler installation at the moment and i noticed the gas meter inlet and oulet are lead pipes coming off the meter are these classed as flexible connections as obviously flexible connections arent allowed??

I think its more the corrugated stainless steel type that the reg applies to not lead

yeah stani your right. id remove all the lead though, get utilities to put a new govenor on too. you can also buy a bracket if it doesnt seem stable.

Ideally have the lead replaced, but you can still leave it in place and connect to it if it is in good nick.

The inlet lead pipe is the responsibility of the meter owner, but you should replace the outlet lead with copper as although it was acceptable when installed, it is now NCS.

Why change it if it isnt faulty?

It isnt really free. The gas supplier ends up paying for it.

You should remove lead, and if he has 'already' paid for it why not? It really isn't a big deal. All you do is ring transco, they come round and change it. Easy. I don't understand your point, I just sounds bit lazy.

i changed a boiler in stoke 2 wks ago and called transco as the meter had no meter bar brkt and was connected by 2 stainless steel flexis.i was told this is not their responsibility now its the gas supplier eg n power or bg.after 3 calls they agreed to send someone - the engineer come and said he would put the meter down as leaking otherwise i would be charged as its not necessary for a meter bar and its ok for the meter to be fixed with 2 flexis.i was annoyed at this and phoned gas safe who told me it would be ntcs only. sometimes why do we bother when the suppliers dont care.as everyone else i was taught meter bar and only one flex.

ant

The thing is that "transco" are primarily an emergency service and not a provider of metering services.

They do however carry out meterwork under certain circumstances..

1) If they are engaged by a meter asset manager to exchange/install/maintain a meter. n this case the MAM pays "transco" for its work.

2)If the meter,inlet flex or regulator is leaking ,then "transco" can exchange the faulty bits as long as a contract exists between the MAM and "transco" for that work to be done..otherwise they just cut off and go. Contracts only exist for meters upto G4/U6 size so anything bigger just gets cut off and left.

So then,if you ring "transco" and report a gas escape when there isnt one,with the intention of getting a meter refixed or an outlet flex removed or a lead inlet removed...then they are not obliged to do it. Approaches for non emergency meter work should be routed via the customers gas supplier.

Lead inlets and/or flex outlets are permissable if they are existing and can be left in place. "transco" do not replace them unless they are undertaking meterwork i.e new fix/exchange. There is nothing to prevent a GSR from running a new Cu supply from the meter.

HTH

Lead inlet pipes bore are also too small for boilers as they clearly state it should 22 mm from the meter ECV so who else do you expect to change it? Really everytime I come across one they just change it. Am not gonna copy and paste some boring stuff from a boiler manual either just to prove my point.

Most of the time, if I report governor not sealed/incorrect meter working pressure, they change the whole thing anyway. Especially if they look old.

anacorda /pliable /lead on the outlet is ncs and down too the supplier.
two pliable connections a risk assement required to judge stabilty. if not stable A.R and contact E.S.P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas meter flexible connections ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just discovered that my bath overflow drain pipe is not connected as the flexible drain tube looks like it has been cut off at some point. After studying...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a 35kw system boiler appears to be in 22mm flexible steel pipe (tractpipe, or teslaflex or w/e). Distance from the meter is only 4m-5m or so, and I assume...
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I doing reading those!), it reccommends connecting to the inlet and outlet using SS braided flexible hoses. Nothing wrong there me thinks. I dropped...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock