Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipes noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James01

Hi, we have just had central heating installed for the first time and I honestly wish we hadn't. Firstly, I didn't realise combi boilers made a constant noise, we live in a bungalow and the boiler is in the bathroom next to my bedroom so I can hear that all the time then to make matters worse the gas pipes into my room have had to go in front of the skirting boards and I get a constant woosh noise from them. The fitters have said there is nothing I can do about it, it's normal and can only be installed that way. I'm sure there are other people with the same problem but it seems there is no solution apart from ear plugs!

I have never heard a gas pipe make a noise before unless I'm working on it. With regard to constant noise as JC says Eco setting will stop the hot water pre heat. Also decent controls and time settings for the central heating will minimise the noise of it operating. The installer should be able to explain the controls to you to enable it to be less of a nuisance. Also consider insulation or soundboard in the compartment the boiler is in to reduce noise. The installer should be able to advise on this also.

Thanks for your replies, I don't think it's got an Eco setting, it's the Baxi promax 28 titanium. I can't understand the pipe noise either, it sounds like the pressure of the water running through. The pipes in the kitchen are above the floor and they are silent but the bedroom is right next to the boiler so I don't know if that's the reason. I'm sick of being told it's normal by the fitters. The timer has yet to be fitted so maybe that would make a difference? Sorry I am totally clueless about central heating.

Hi,
You mentioned this unwanted noise.
I didn't realise combi boilers made a constant noise, we live in a bungalow and the boiler is in the bathroom next to my bedroom so I can hear that all the time then to make matters worse the gas pipes into my room have had to go in front of the skirting boards and I get a constant woosh noise from them.

From your description it sounds more like you have x2 pipes running across your skirting boards to a radiator.

The noise can be air in the pipes/system or potentially if the pump speed is set to high you would also get this noise due to the fluid speed through the pipes.

The system should also not have been installed without a timer/room-stat/trv's to meet building regs.

As you have no timer and as mentioned above the boiler may be firing during the night quiet hours waking you up.

You need to get the installer back to sort out for you and to ensure that they meet the building regs.

Have you got the manufacturers instructions with the benchmark document filled in & also checked with Gas Safe/building control or manufacturer to see if the boiler has been registered yet. That may answer some of your questions if it has not been filled in or registered,

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks Andy, that's it x2 pipes to radiator, so do you think they should be silent? The timer should be fitted tomorrow, the boiler has been registered and I will check the documents. If we set the timer for the heating to go off at say 10pm then come on at 6am should the boiler be silent during those hours that no heating is on. Sorry, I must sound thick but it's all new to me.

A combi will preheat avery 30 mins or so through the night (and day) regardless of if there is a call for heat or hot water.
That's what the eco mode is for, it stops the preheat, the downside is that when you do open a hot tap, it will take longer for the water to get hot when in eco mode.
If there is no eco mode then I'm sorry to say you will get the preheat noise even through the night.

Thanks for your replies, I noticed that the pipes from the boiler at work are lagged with a foam tube, do you think that lagging the pipes that lead to the radiator would reduce the noise at all?

You need to get the original installers back to sort for you.

As mentioned above sounds more like air in the system or pump speed set to high.

You have not said if you have the boiler installation benchmark certificate filled in or checked if the boiler is registered so worth you checking these things,

cheers,

Andy

The pipe noise could just be air in the system as its just been installed and will settle after a few hours/days but the rads will need bleeding and system pressure topping up,

lagging and boxing the pipes in will help with the noise, but by the sounds of it you've got the boiler running 24/7 as there should be no noise if the CH is off

The noise in the pipes are caused by the velocity of the water being too high. Might be from the valves checked back too much for the pump setting.
You will hear any combi in the other room if it is mounted on a stud partition.
Promax's aren't the quietest of boilers anyway.

We have had a few problems since it was installed, the plumbers are coming out tomorrow to flush the system which wasn't done when it was installed. I don't know if that will make a difference with the pipes noise but we have put the timer to switch the heating off at 10pm and go back on at 6.30am and we don't get any noise from the boiler during that time, so at least that's something.

You have not said if you have the boiler installation benchmark certificate filled in or checked if the boiler is registered so worth you checking these things,

Can you let us know if the benchmark documentation has been filled out or if the boiler has been registered.
Check with Gas Safe &/or Boiler manufacturer,

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipes noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock