Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Safe without Gas Safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WaterPlumber

Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of getting round to getting all the necessary qualifications in order to become Gas Safe. I've been doing domestic plumbing working strictly with water, no gas, and wanted to get some advice from you guys regarding making my company Gas Safe.

I get alot of calls from customers looking for gas work: boiler installations, emergencies, boiler services etc. but obviously I turn them down, always giving them advice that they need to look for a Gas Safe engineer.

My question is in two parts (note I am NOT Gas Safe):

- Can I accept this work, quote the customer and send my Gas Safe friend down to do all the work following all regs & certs (and me pay him)
- Can I advertise for gas work: e.g. put on my website 'Boiler Services' 'Boiler Installations' as long as the end result involves a full certificed and competant Gas Safe engineer undergoing the work? (and me pay the gas men undergoing the work)
- Can I liase with Insurance companies and tell them my company can accept emergency gas callouts, so long that there is a Gas Safe engineer doing all the work.

Example: My none Gas Safe company quoting gas work - sends Gas Safe self employed tradesmen to do the job.

Thanks for the forum too, guys, I frequent it but have never commented :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
No as your advertising you are a gas safe company when your not your subbing it out etc

What if I don't advertise as a Gas Safe company? With a 'All work undertaken by a fully qualified Gas Safe engineer' disclaimer on my website.

What if I don't advertise as a Gas Safe company? With a 'All work undertaken by a fully qualified Gas Safe engineer' disclaimer on my website.

Your still saying your company does gas when it doesn't best to phone gas safe up they will tell you

- Can I advertise for gas work: e.g. put on my website 'Boiler Services' 'Boiler Installations' as long as the end result involves a full certificed and competant Gas Safe engineer undergoing the work? (and me pay the gas men undergoing the work)

When advertising and using the Gas Safe Register Brand, a business must only use the trading name registered with Gas Safe Register. Where it is identified that a business is using a different trading name to that registered, the Brand Enforcement Policy will apply.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. What if I never use any Gas Safe logos? Can I tell customers over the phone that I can come quote, then send my Gas Safe mate round to do the job?

I'll give Gas Safe a bell in the morning.

If you employ the dude, you can register your business with Gas Safe.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. There's a bridge between marketing for gas work and employing a gas man which i'm trying to get a balance of before I do my gas quals.

Thanks for your replies. What if I never use any Gas Safe logos? Can I tell customers over the phone that I can come quote, then send my Gas Safe mate round to do the job?

I'll give Gas Safe a bell in the morning.
Can't see why not.

You don't need to be gas safe to be a registered gas business, register with gas safe and put your mate as an engineer under your registration, you will need employers liability though for this even if he's a subby

Be prepared for a massive hike in your public liability.
You will need a big cut out of the job to make this work. In the end getting your own gas safe quals would be a better long term solution.

I don't think its a good idea for you to go around quoting gas work when your not qualified to do so. How will you know what is and is not allowed i.e. siting for example or calculating pipework volumes? By going to a customer you would have to say that an engineer would have to come out after to do a survey which sort of defeats you being there in the first place aswell as it potentially costing you when you've agreed a quote and find it has to be done different. Of the top of my head I don't know which reg it is but there is one that says you cannot falsely pretend to be a member of a class of persons approved to deal with gas.

Who will sort out any call backs for faults, leaks etc etc

The thing is... an im not saying you would ....but before you know it some people think wellll ive quoted the job and got it ...I know why not put a few of the rads in and get the gas guy to do the rest ....nahhh tell you what il put the pipework in aswell should be ok and well its only a boiler what could go wrong if I fitted it? just leaving that piece of pipe for the final connection to the meter and thinking about it after fitting this whole system that's surely childs play one small section .....do you see where im going here .....

As a gas fitter I wouldn't have an issue fitting a boiler onto pipework someone else had designed/installed except:-

1.) I would want to flush it.
2.) Any leaks on the pipework aren't my responsibility and if they hold me up additional charges would apply.

Work is work and how is fitting a boiler on pipework someone else has installed for you any different than swapping a boiler on an existing CH system?

I worked with a good gas fitter down south who was happy just to come and fit the boiler on the wall under this exact arrangement. He told me what to look for on quoting which saved 2 of us going out. Worked very well and I wasn't GSR at the time. The main thing here though is I never claimed to be!

Last edited:
As a gas fitter I wouldn't have an issue fitting a boiler onto pipework someone else had designed/installed except:-

1.) I would want to flush it.
2.) Any leaks on the pipework aren't my responsibility and if they hold me up additional charges would apply.

Work is work and how is fitting a boiler on pipework someone else has installed for you any different than swapping a boiler on an existing CH system?

I worked with a good gas fitter down south who was happy just to come and fit the boiler on the wall under this exact arrangement. He told me what to look for on quoting which saved 2 of us going out. Worked very well and I wasn't GSR at the time. The main thing here though is I never claimed to be!

Boiler MI: The pressure relief valve is set at 3 bar, therefore all pipework, fittings, etc. should be suitable for pressures in excess of 3 bar and temperature in excess of 100°C.

I would pressure test it too. Why not to install it to the MI!? Your name is on the Benchmark.

Last edited:
Boiler MI: The pressure relief valve is set at 3 bar, therefore all pipework, fittings, etc. should be suitable for pressures in excess of 3 bar and temperature in excess of 100°C.

I would pressure test it too. Why not to install it to the MI!? Your name is on the Benchmark.

Agreed!

I appreciate all your replies, but I don't really intend on quoting any gas work. Nor do I actually intend on doing any plumbing work myself. Long story short i'm subbing all my work out at the moment and have plumbers on my pay roll.

I mostly mean whats the legal way for me to generate leads involving gas via marketing, with the sole intention to sub it to a gas safe guy.

edit: I understand my company can become Gas Safe via a gas safe guy switching his license to my company, but at the moment I'm purposely not generating any gas leads. I'm trying to avoid a awkward transition where they're having to generate their own work whilst I get my marketing in order.

If I can market/advertise legally for 'boiler services' and 'boiler installations' without becoming Gas Safe - that's kind of my goal.

"All work to be completed by a Gas Safe engineer."

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs an employee on the books who has passed his ACS.
You don't have to be gas safe to sell, only to fit and the subbies do it under their own registration

There's a business near me who is Gas Safe registered, the owner as a mate of his as the nominated Gas Safe Engineer and the lad only works for him occasionally doing gas work. I've even seen the non gas safe owner at a training day for a boiler manufacturer, dunno how that works ??

Any self employed gsr guy who "nominates" his registration to another company for their use is off their head and it shouldn't be allowed. Its all about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe without Gas Safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock