Search the forum,

Discuss Glow Worm 30cx, can't get C/H to work and Rad symbol showing OFF in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all

First off a big hello from a sparky to all you fellow Plumbers/Gas Engineers out there. I'm not here to say who's better than who and I really do hope you will all show me mercy as I will admit even I have limitations, hence why I am here to ask for help.

Basically, I have recently got myself a new property and the Boiler (Glow Worm Flexicom 30cx) will not provide C/H but does give DHW. If I hold the MODE button for more than 3 secs (as per instructions to set heating temp) it displays the rad symbol on the LCD screen but with the word 'off'.

I cannot for the life of me get this to change to 'on' and I've never come across a boiler that is behaving like this. I've replaced the faulty wireless receiver for a mechanical stat as a temp measure (couldn't get a proper replacement on the day and was in a rush) and even then, it won't call for heat. As a result, I've had to return the stat as it's about a useful as a chocolate fireguard. It is worth mentioning the LCD should display both the rad and tap symbol but I'm only getting the tap symbol. The - & + buttons seems to do nout either.

It's as if the boiler isn't actually set up for heating but considering it's a combi boiler something is deffo amiss. Holding the reset button and then letting go puts the boiler into it's usual 2x click/gurgling and then a quick burst of the fan. However, it then just sits in standby once more with no heating symbol. I am going to order a new Salus wireless receiver tonight (it's been upgraded to a newer model btw and I can't get hold of an original - RT500RF RX). I can only get it as a pair though packaged with the batt operated programmable stat but I'm not sure this will provide a fix.

I'm not convinced that the room stat is the problem and I am pretty sure I wired it up correctly. It was a Honeywell T6360 and the neon lit up so to me, was sending a signal to call for heat. The boiler pressure is 1.1 bar and all the TRV's are open and set to max along with each individual rad being bled and checked for air locks. I do wonder if this appliance was geared up only for a wireless receiver to be used but I used a mechanical stat to try to get the heat on. The boiler doesn't have an inbuilt clock or timer.

Within the boiler itself, I removed the 24v link in the actual wiring center housing and tried it both with and without. Still no heating. PCB fuse is ok and I got 240V on the test probe points. I don't know if this is a control issue or if the diverter valve is stuck.

The last Gas Safe check was in July 2016 and there is absolutely no literature what so ever or any Glow Worm trouble shooting that pertains to the boiler displaying the rad symbol in 'off' mode. What's more, doing the ol' Google trick brings just about every other boiler up but mine and again, no specific symptoms I can relate to. I get a horrible feeling the property has been sat idle for months and something has possibly failed.

I am in contact with my purchasing solicitor to chase this up and see where I stand legally. As a FTB I do wonder if I've made a serious oversight and am now responsible for any repairs/bills as I accepted the keys a week ago and exchanged contracts. I can't stay in the property as it's literally an ice box. Being able to see your own breath in the house is no laughing matter. I will inform my solicitor as well that there is a Health & Safety issue as I can't guarantee that boiler is safe to be left on (isolated all electrics and gas when I left).

I'm in the process of part furnishing the place and I could literally pull my own hair out with stress and worry at the thought the place is going to introduce damp and things will start to go musty.

I really do feel utterly embarrassed and have egg on my face. I would be massively grateful if anyone could offer any advice and if I have any legal rights as there is no cert for 2017 and I fear the sellers may have had an idea the boiler was an issue but sold me the property regardless.

Finally, my utmost apologies if anyone reading gets the needle because I am fully aware that I shouldn't be playing around with the boiler and yes, I know it may annoy you because you could be advising me rather than earning a living fixing my boiler. Please, please understand this is my first house, I'm a s Green as the grass and costs are mounting up rapidly. We've all been there so do spare a thought. I really am up **** creek without a paddle.

If this boiler is done for and it needs replacing I'm in real trouble.

Hope you can lend Gods hand.

Thank you

When you press and hold the 'Mode' button, does it not begin to flash?

Flashing is what you want (ooh-er, missus), and - whilst it's flashing - you can then jab the Mode button to cycle between the CH modes, hopefully finding 'on'.

Could it be you are pressing and holding the Mode button for too long? A 2-second press should do it, then release it the instant it begins to flash. Then 'jab'.

(This is written in hope more than likelihood...)

Failing that, phone up GlowWorm, and they should guide you through the process and come up with answers if it really doesn't respond.

Evening all

First off a big hello from a sparky to all you fellow Plumbers/Gas Engineers out there. I'm not here to say who's better than who and I really do hope you will all show me mercy as I will admit even I have limitations, hence why I am here to ask for help.

Basically, I have recently got myself a new property and the Boiler (Glow Worm Flexicom 30cx) will not provide C/H but does give DHW. If I hold the MODE button for more than 3 secs (as per instructions to set heating temp) it displays the rad symbol on the LCD screen but with the word 'off'.

I cannot for the life of me get this to change to 'on' and I've never come across a boiler that is behaving like this. I've replaced the faulty wireless receiver for a mechanical stat as a temp measure (couldn't get a proper replacement on the day and was in a rush) and even then, it won't call for heat. As a result, I've had to return the stat as it's about a useful as a chocolate fireguard. It is worth mentioning the LCD should display both the rad and tap symbol but I'm only getting the tap symbol. The - & + buttons seems to do nout either.

It's as if the boiler isn't actually set up for heating but considering it's a combi boiler something is deffo amiss. Holding the reset button and then letting go puts the boiler into it's usual 2x click/gurgling and then a quick burst of the fan. However, it then just sits in standby once more with no heating symbol. I am going to order a new Salus wireless receiver tonight (it's been upgraded to a newer model btw and I can't get hold of an original - RT500RF RX). I can only get it as a pair though packaged with the batt operated programmable stat but I'm not sure this will provide a fix.

I'm not convinced that the room stat is the problem and I am pretty sure I wired it up correctly. It was a Honeywell T6360 and the neon lit up so to me, was sending a signal to call for heat. The boiler pressure is 1.1 bar and all the TRV's are open and set to max along with each individual rad being bled and checked for air locks. I do wonder if this appliance was geared up only for a wireless receiver to be used but I used a mechanical stat to try to get the heat on. The boiler doesn't have an inbuilt clock or timer.

Within the boiler itself, I removed the 24v link in the actual wiring center housing and tried it both with and without. Still no heating. PCB fuse is ok and I got 240V on the test probe points. I don't know if this is a control issue or if the diverter valve is stuck.

The last Gas Safe check was in July 2016 and there is absolutely no literature what so ever or any Glow Worm trouble shooting that pertains to the boiler displaying the rad symbol in 'off' mode. What's more, doing the ol' Google trick brings just about every other boiler up but mine and again, no specific symptoms I can relate to. I get a horrible feeling the property has been sat idle for months and something has possibly failed.

I am in contact with my purchasing solicitor to chase this up and see where I stand legally. As a FTB I do wonder if I've made a serious oversight and am now responsible for any repairs/bills as I accepted the keys a week ago and exchanged contracts. I can't stay in the property as it's literally an ice box. Being able to see your own breath in the house is no laughing matter. I will inform my solicitor as well that there is a Health & Safety issue as I can't guarantee that boiler is safe to be left on (isolated all electrics and gas when I left).

I'm in the process of part furnishing the place and I could literally pull my own hair out with stress and worry at the thought the place is going to introduce damp and things will start to go musty.

I really do feel utterly embarrassed and have egg on my face. I would be massively grateful if anyone could offer any advice and if I have any legal rights as there is no cert for 2017 and I fear the sellers may have had an idea the boiler was an issue but sold me the property regardless.

Finally, my utmost apologies if anyone reading gets the needle because I am fully aware that I shouldn't be playing around with the boiler and yes, I know it may annoy you because you could be advising me rather than earning a living fixing my boiler. Please, please understand this is my first house, I'm a s Green as the grass and costs are mounting up rapidly. We've all been there so do spare a thought. I really am up **** creek without a paddle.

If this boiler is done for and it needs replacing I'm in real trouble.

Hope you can lend Gods hand.

Thank you
Hello. Did you read my answer on Sparky Forum yet?
Have you dropped the pressure and linked L-R?

Here you go mate

2827FA75-9101-4030-9C51-0E628EB6D123.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow Worm 30cx, can't get C/H to work and Rad symbol showing OFF in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock