Search the forum,

Discuss Glowworm Ultimate 60FF Boiler Kettling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

godffreypratt

Hi folks,

You may detect the weary tone of someone who's at their wit's end with this problem, so apologies if that is the case.

I've been living in my present house for circa 14 months. It has an gravity-fed central heating system with conventional layout of cold water and expansion tank in the loft, hot water cylinder and circulating pump on 1st floor and boiler in the kitchen. The boiler is a Glowworm Ultimate 60FF and looks to be as old as time immemorial. For all that it has served well for a year until the circulation pump became noisy, so that was changed. At the time of changing, the radiators were also drained and some Fernox MB1 was added into the expansion tank. A few weeks later, the boiler started kettling. This echoes through the pipes and the noise grew worse until, finally, it became unbearable being awoken by it, so I added some Sentinel X200, thinking that some more descaler would help. I left it 2 weeks to work, but alas, it didn't. I'd also read reports that on older systems with delicate constitutions, these anti-corrosion solutions can be abrasive. Since these problems occurred after it had been added, I decided to flush it all out of the system. So, after draining all the radiators today and firing up the system, you can imagine how I felt when heard the boiler make those kettling sounds. It was much reduced, thankfully, but still there.

In summary, I've tried
- 2 anti-corrosion/descaling/inhibitor fluids with no effect
- Bleeding all the radiators of water
- Purging any trapped air

I've read suggestions that replacing the heat exchanger may address the issue, but I wouldn't like to spend hundreds to find that it doesn't solve the issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Pete

When was the boiler last serviced?

Hire a flushing machine and run some sludge remover or acid through the heat exchanger once serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm Ultimate 60FF Boiler Kettling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock