Discuss Got to be a pourus cistern or hairline crack? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can sit it there all night on a dusty floor leaning slightly back you will see where it is coming from. If it is on the cistern it will have a drip mark somewhere below and if it is seeping through the bolt seal the wet mark will be where the bolt touches the floor as it will spiral down the thread.

I use plumbas too but they are expensive :smile:

Better get a sleeping bag and pop corn, it will be a riviting evenings veiwing.

I will have another look when I'm there, its getting on that thread from somewhere. Its probably more likely a dodgy joint there than a porous cistern but that coned washer/bolt assembly was sandwiched in LSX on all the inividual parts.

Some of the cheaper cisterns are packed full of filler to hide the flaws made during firing and they don't all seal. I've had a few like that and took them back for new ones.

Some of the cheaper cisterns are packed full of filler to hide the flaws made during firing and they don't all seal. I've had a few like that and took them back for new ones.

I've noticed this system, inside there is a white paste that has been applied to cover flaws, I've seen it on others two.

I had this with a bathstore cistern, it drove me mad. Eventually, after refitting it for the umpteenth time I was wiping the condensation from the outside and suddenly the condensation became red (my blood).

The cistern had 4 straight scratches through the glaze, one at each corner which were almost invisible. The only way to see them was by going over with a pencil.

Although the box it came in didn't have any staples I reckon it must have been the result of the way it had been packaged at some time.

How much more blood will need to be shed before these cistern manufactureres improve their quality control? :rifle:

it's a problem nowadays, manufacturers are always looking to cut costs & one way is to cut the quality control or to use cheaper materials. unfortunetly it's us that suffer as time is money.

I reckon that 99% of cisterns and wash basins have filler in them somewhere. The firing process used in pottery is far from perfect and there will always be flaws somewhere. On umpteen basins, I can hear "bits" inside clinking about when lifted. The cheaper imports from the Far East are the worst. Even acrylic baths dont escape filler. I've seen some real suspect ones!

I fitted a cistern all ok, as you say back on site next day, small puddle round the back of pan, when all over no sigh of leak, flushed it pan connector ok, small dribble round back of cistern, assumed it to be doughnut washer, strip apart new doughnut washer, test again still small dribble round the back, so pinched up the bolts holding cistern to pan only 1/4 maybe 1/2 a turn and the cistern split in two, hair line crack!!!

Sometimes the water actually comes from the syphon fitting and tracks along the porcelain to come down the bolt

put some food dye in to cistern it should show up easier. lots of problems with cisterns lately:angry_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Got to be a pourus cistern or hairline crack? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back