Search the forum,

Discuss Grabbed By The Balls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I am not smiling. I have a feeling I should never have gotten involved. Only time will tell:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Might depend who grabbed them...

Well, I have just been given a contract by a landlord who has over 150 properties. So far, so good. So there are a good number of boilers that needs replacing, a lot of CP12's, servicing and new installations in houses he is converting to flats.

There are 5 boilers to install next week. Two are replacing combi to combi's and three are new installs in house being converted to flats.
Trouble is he sent me a mail today informing me he will be buying all the materials, parts, etc. I must only just charge the labour element. I can see problems. Missing parts, wrong materials, etc. OK, I will have my materials I can fall back to and finish the jobs, but I can just see him arguing that I am making up the materials??? Then there will be the question of wanting to pay a lot less for the jobs as he says I will not be short of work? Yeah, SO???

I think there is going to be tears

Attend job, parts supplied are wrong or missing = invoice for waste of time.
Plus all warranty problems are chargeable.

Jog on ! My favourite expression. Expect he will only be buying valliant ecotec plus and copper? I think not . Heatline and plastic same as most sub Saharan landlords!

Well, I have just been given a contract by a landlord who has over 150 properties. So far, so good. So there are a good number of boilers that needs replacing, a lot of CP12's, servicing and new installations in houses he is converting to flats.

There are 5 boilers to install next week. Two are replacing combi to combi's and three are new installs in house being converted to flats.
Trouble is he sent me a mail today informing me he will be buying all the materials, parts, etc. I must only just charge the labour element. I can see problems. Missing parts, wrong materials, etc. OK, I will have my materials I can fall back to and finish the jobs, but I can just see him arguing that I am making up the materials??? Then there will be the question of wanting to pay a lot less for the jobs as he says I will not be short of work? Yeah, SO???

I think there is going to be tears
#

You say he has given you a contract. Is there actually a contract? A document that defines what each party are going to do?

Because if not, then I fear you are right - it will end in tears.

And landlords with 150 properties don't appear from nowhere. Have you had a chance to speak to whoever used to do his work? That could be most illuminating.

give him a day rate, if the materials are not there then next day it will cost another days money.

We have not exchanged any contracts, so nothing in ''stone'' yet.
As for the type of boilers Erm, you would be surprised. He insists it he only fits Worcester Bosch boilers. I have informed him I'd prefer Ideal logic+ Combi instead. I am amazed at the number of landlords I work for who only fit Worcester Bosch boilers?????? I hate them with a passion. The new compact ones are even more of a pain to fit. Even removing the front cover and accessing innards is one big joke.

We have not exchanged any contracts, so nothing in ''stone'' yet.
As for the type of boilers Erm, you would be surprised. He insists it he only fits Worcester Bosch boilers. I have informed him I'd prefer Ideal logic+ Combi instead. I am amazed at the number of landlords I work for who only fit Worcester Bosch boilers?????? I hate them with a passion. The new compact ones are even more of a pain to fit. Even removing the front cover and accessing innards is one big joke.

Thats what good advertising does for you :)

I to hate the WB compact, thought it was me being the idiot when i was taking out no end of screws.

Thats what good advertising does for you :)

You can say that again. Every single one of the new compact ones I have fitted has managed to cut me somewhere when I pick up the jig?? But no need phoning WB as they will say; ''if you had bothered to read the case cover before removal, you would have seen the warning about sharp edges''. great

I had a similar landlord do that until one of his parts went under warranty and needed changing and I slapped him with a bill for doing it. When he questioned it I said the part wasn't supplied by me and the warranty doesn't lye with me it's between him and his supplier I am just swapping it over. After a bit of to and throwing it was agreed I supply all parts in future.

he only wanted to supply them so he could claim back the vat against his commercial properties and off set the costs the naughty boy!

I to hate the WB compact, thought it was me being the idiot when i was taking out no end of screws.

Nope. Why go to all that trouble of screws here and there, when with the old ones, you remove clip at top, undo two bottom screws and slide out. Simples. But oh no. WB needs to make their product look superior by giving you hell to install it. ffftttttt.

BTW, When I spoke to the landlord earlier today, I made him aware that I will not be prepared to wait for 28-30 days for payment. I expect to be paid after every job. He said if that is my preference, he will do that. That being the case, I can always walk away if he starts to drag his foot with the payments.

He wants to only pay ÂŁ140 daily rates and ÂŁ42 for each CP12. I've informed him I charge ÂŁ200/day and ÂŁ50 for CP12. Just have to wait and see what he comes back wit on that issue. He claims he used to pay the other chap ÂŁ120/day. Yeah, right. It aint gonna happen with me. Period.
He has between now and Wednesday to convince me or I am walking.

Bet he's got some great carrots.dangle dangle. Was in local corner shop, he pipes up about services and cp12s.... Can u do them we have hundreds of houses...... We just paid BG 7k for cover....... ( ok so why are we talking I'm not BG. Keeps on. Not interested. We service and maintain loads of boilers. Only deal with landlord if it's lucrative.... But usually find you service and repair and cp12 and some illegal will be doing installs. " oh he's really good, fitted boiler in 2 hours for ÂŁ100." No stat, no benchmark, undergassed plastic. It's all there. But he can't change a thermo on a bbu! Assholes!

Nope. Why go to all that trouble of screws here and there, when with the old ones, you remove clip at top, undo two bottom screws and slide out. Simples. But oh no. WB needs to make their product look superior by giving you hell to install it. ffftttttt.

BTW, When I spoke to the landlord earlier today, I made him aware that I will not be prepared to wait for 28-30 days for payment. I expect to be paid after every job. He said if that is my preference, he will do that. That being the case, I can always walk away if he starts to drag his foot with the payments.

He wants to only pay ÂŁ140 daily rates and ÂŁ42 for each CP12. I've informed him I charge ÂŁ200/day and ÂŁ50 for CP12. Just have to wait and see what he comes back wit on that issue. He claims he used to pay the other chap ÂŁ120/day. Yeah, right. It aint gonna happen with me. Period.
He has between now and Wednesday to convince me or I am walking.

heard that figure before, must be trending?

find the bloke who used to do it and contract him?

Only did one job for a landlord, well tenant, who told me that he was in touch with his landlord and "ok'd" me to install at the property. Turns out he didnt "ok" me and the tenant has ripped me right off. Lesson is kids, there are no friends in business and get everything in writing.

You are sounding very cynical about this person.

Personally, I would try and get the work!!.

You make it sound like the guy wants it all his way.
Why don't you try and meet the guy and have a discussion.
It sounds like a person worth getting a working relationship happening.

Express your concerns - have him voice his concerns - and see if you can work out a mutually agreeable compromise.

Personally, I would work on the prospects - at least in the interim.
It may go sour - better to find that out prior to starting any work that finding out after you have completed some work.

Keep it professional - you never know where it will take you

I'm a great believer in your gut instinct or my problem radar as I call it. The couple of times I've gone against it, it's cost me money. To me, you are already arguing about money and you've not even started. The jobs have a going rate and try taking promises about 150 houses to Asda when you need the weekly shop.

Just quote each job on price work for what its worth to you. Stand your ground and be prepared to walk. These landlord clowns don't allow for time taken to register boiler, survey job etc. etc..

there is only one type of property tycoon. and the word is not repeatable in a public forum.

Every time I agree to customer/builder getting the materials it ends up costing me,I insist on supplying it myself. The last time I let someone supply bits missing and arguments over the bill.

Also can anyone think of a single reason why a customer would supply materials (not including sanitaryware or something where design is a preference) other than a tacit implication that they don't trust you not to rip them off? that's a great starting point for a business relationship. As has been said before, try doing that at your local garage and see what happens.

If the Old plumber was being paid on time and no problems
He would still be doing the work

If it looks to good it normally is

What do you experience physiologically when a customer mentions they have lots of other properties? Is it avaricious glee? Or the sinking feeling you're about to be someone's pig?

I'm a great believer in your gut instinct or my problem radar as I call it. The couple of times I've gone against it, it's cost me money. To me, you are already arguing about money and you've not even started. The jobs have a going rate and try taking promises about 150 houses to Asda when you need the weekly shop.

I have been in the situation where failing to follow my gut instinct has turned out to be a disaster.
Last night, I sent him details of all the materials I will need for the job (including pipe clips). He replied querying my need for a length of 15 & 22 mm copper pipes? Said all I need to do is take out old glow-worm boiler and fit the one he provides.

As if it's as easy as that, ffftttttt. When I rang to tell him there is more to replacing a boiler than just taking old one out and replacing with new, he said I must email him details of the exact work replacement procedure. I am happy to do that, but if this is how every other job is going to be, then I think this relationship will end before it even begins. I am more than happy to leave behind any off-cuts and left over copper pipes etc for him to retrieve at his convenience.

Apparently, BG (with whom he says he has a Service Contract) have asked him to replace four boilers in the last two months all of them fitted 4-5 yrs ago. I wonder why??? If you are paying ÂŁ120/day to an RGI, chances are there will be no incentive to properly flush the system

Only did one job for a landlord, well tenant, who told me that he was in touch with his landlord and "ok'd" me to install at the property. Turns out he didnt "ok" me and the tenant has ripped me right off. Lesson is kids,
If a tenant wants work doing tell them they pay on completion (cash) and claim it back off the landlord. Let them do the arguing about money.
I have been in the situation where failing to follow my gut instinct has turned out to be a disaster. Last night, I sent him details of all the materials I will need for the job (including pipe clips). He replied querying my need for a length of 15 & 22 mm copper pipes? Said all I need to do is take out old glow-worm boiler and fit the one he provides. As if it's as easy as that, ffftttttt. When I rang to tell him there is more to replacing a boiler than just taking old one out and replacing with new, he said I must email him details of the exact work replacement procedure. I am happy to do that, but if this is how every other job is going to be, then I think this relationship will end before it even begins. I am more than happy to leave behind any off-cuts and left over copper pipes etc for him to retrieve at his convenience. Apparently, BG (with whom he says he has a Service Contract) have asked him to replace four boilers in the last two months all of them fitted 4-5 yrs ago. I wonder why??? If you are paying ÂŁ120/day to an RGI, chances are there will be no incentive to properly flush the system
Don't waste your time with clowns.

I dont work for landlords anymore, as soon as they start going on about how many properties they own blah blah blah i just put the phone down

The landlord sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but is the work worth the hassle. The CP12's alone if for all 150 properties are worth over 6k, but no doubt as with any landlord they will kick up a fuss if you find any safety issues.

A landlord with 150 property's
I'd be thinking he has someone managing it not messing about like this himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grabbed By The Balls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock