Search the forum,

Discuss gravity system, loud noises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Old boiler was replaced with Valiant 425. The customer is complaining- rightfully so, sometimes when the heating is on there is very loud noises from the radiator/pipes - that wasn't there before. I've been back and rebalanced the system, a few times - as it seems to keep loosing the equilibrium. I have no idea why....
- gravity system + old Y plan +new boiler with bypass +new pump set at 1. The noise sounds like horses galloping.
SO ...could it be the 3 port valve getting stuck? Is the pump too strong and over pumping, or is there a blockage? How do I check these things?
Or is it something completely different. The noise wasn't so bad when I went there but of course, a day or so later she called again and I could hear the noise in the background. I'm not sure how to test for the possible faults so I am turning to the panel of wise men on this forum who have more experience than me, please help. I have a few c*p photo's but maybe they'll help.
Cheers in advance

IMG_20180123_155651474[1].jpg

IMG_20180123_155644659[1].jpg

IMG_20180123_155659567[1].jpg

Is there possibly an old anti gravity valve still in the old heating return to stop back circulation? It may have broken up and/or the circulation is now reversed.

Also left in the old cylinder not always suitable for fully pump' systems should have got rid of the old gate valves as well wile system was empty, these old systems can be a pain sometimes , work fine for years as soon as you try to upgrade part of system it will start to play up.

Well I went back, took out the tree port and checked function- it's working, put it back. Then read in one of my books that it maybe because all rads have trv's, advice was to change one to lock shields, to take up the pressure difference, when all the trv's shut/ open. Haven't heard back for nearly a week.....

Is your bypass fitted more than 1.5m from boiler? And flow and returns defo are piped up thw right way?

I know this may be a silly question and don't want to insult you But is the 3 port valve fitted the right way (B to hot water A to Heating)

Well, I still haven't heard- but I'm going to ring customer to find out. Just by chance I was on another job- following the other guy who was kicked off the job, and the f+r were plumbed in the wrong way around! I figured it out after quite some head scratching. Anyway the thing is that it is a Y plan system and even tho it was plumbed wrong they still had dhw. So it lead me to think that maybe at the other place, the one with the he noise the f+r maybe wrong after all!! I didn't make those connections so can't be 110% sure. So I'll be checking that on my next visit. See the clue was that the 3 port is open to hw so that would work, but the heating.....? Maybe it works cuz new pump forcing enough water thru, but it's more very noisy. At this point I'm not sure if it's my active imagination or what.
This worked even with your automatic by pass in already?
YES?!
Is your bypass fitted more than 1.5m from boiler? And flow and returns defo are piped up thw right way?
. Nope, within 1.5 and as for the f+r ......... Almost 100% sure.
I know this may be a silly question and don't want to insult you But is the 3 port valve fitted the right way (B to hot water A to Heating)
Definitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gravity system, loud noises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hello, purchased a house in February this year and for a few weeks, noticed a loud banging noise which sounds like it is coming from under my sink, but happens when no water is running. I think it could be when my neighbour is either running water or maybe using a washing machine. House is an...
Replies
Views
Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I had a Macdee Wirquin Neo Air zero leak trap fitted in a sink vanity unit in April this year. Today it has started making a noise which sounds like a whale blowing air through it's blowhole!! It's 'blowing every few minutes and is loud enough for me to hear from the room next door Any ideas...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! My Worcester Greenstar 30CDi Combi boiler started making a rather loud juddering noise two nights ago. I bled all the radiators and releaaed air from the system. Repressurised the system afterwards with the water valve and the noise had stopped... until about the same the next day...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock