Discuss Grundfos Replacement UPS3 V Alpha 1 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a new boiler, cylinder and UPS3 15 50/65 pump fitted last year.

The plumbers left the pump on constant curve III, which according to the pump curves takes up to 60W. I changed to constant curve I which according to the pump curves takes up to 28W, saving about 32 W. I do not know how many hours my pump runs but assuming 3,000 hours/year, with electricity at 37.653 p/kWh from April, the saving could be about £36 per year or potentially £360 if the pump lasts 10 years.

The electricity consumed by the pump isn’t entirely wasted because it will contribute to heating although the price of electricity is about 5 times that of gas.

I have no idea what pump setting you would need. My boiler is 15 kW and needs only about 655 l/h for a 20 K ΔT. If you need a higher setting the savings will be less, if any, with the UPS3 15 50/65.

The Screwfix prices are £119.98 for the UPS3 15-50/65 and £131.49 for the ALPHA 1 15-50/60. According to the pump curves the ALPHA1 15-50/60 130 takes a maximum of 34 W compared to a maximum of 60 W for the UPS3. After 1,200 running hours the ALPHA1 could have saved the price difference of £11.51.

I doubt that the DHW cylinder pump running hours are sufficient to make upgrade worthwhile.

This is just my opinion.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. The info is all useful in developing a better understanding about how energy is consumed.

Can you improve your insulation?

Can you improve your insulation?
Thanks. Its a SIPS panel house with a SIPS roof so already very well insulated. We also have a MHRVS but I'm uncertain of the benefits that brings from an energy efficiency point of view.

I need to do a bit more head-scratching on the heating system as I'm still puzzled as to how it can routinely consumer circa 2.5-3.5Kwh per day (Nov - Feb).

If you're looking for savings I'd recommend dab pumps I have moved away from Grundfoss myself they are no what they once were details are below , other savings can be made from adding more controls insulating your property replacing light bulbs for LEDs. Kop
Hmm DAB is a Grundfos company......

Reply to Grundfos Replacement UPS3 V Alpha 1 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have just had my 15year old Grundfos UPS 15 50 replaced with an Alpha 1 and the Alpha 1 seems quite a bit noisier than the the old one, I...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Got a knackered Grundfos UPS 15-60 130. Have a replacement Grundfos UPS3 15-50/65 130. Is the UPS3 pump head compatible with the UPS...
Replies
Views
S
Ups pump issue Fairly recently, say 12 months ago, we had a new pump fitted. It's a grundfos ups3 15- 50/65 130. (We have a small expansion tank...
Replies
Views
Is Britherm pump a better choice than Grundfos for Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 400 15kW Heat Only Boiler Wiring is SPlan and the intention is to install...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock