Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling shower drain when toilet flushes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have an upstairs main bathroom (bath, toilet) and upstairs en-suite (shower, toilet).

My upstairs shower drain has recently developed a gurgling sound when the adjacent toilet is flushed.

I know this can be a blockage between toilet and drain, or stack vent problem. With it being a recent cold and wet spell the I would assume the likelihood is a blocked soil stack - however if this was the case would the main upstairs toilet/bath not be experiencing similar problems? So does this mean it more likely a localised problem (blockage between toilet and shower).

What is the best order of troubleshooting?

Should the toilet/shower have its own vent (separate from the main stack?)

I have plunged the toilet and it temporarily fixed the problem. The problem now only seems to appear in the morning (after the toilet/shower hasn't been used for longest time).

Thanks

Check where the soil vent pipe ends ,some older combined systems vented through the guttering and if it gets blocked with leaves or debris can result in that happening good luck with it

Check where the soil vent pipe ends ,some older combined systems vented through the guttering and if it gets blocked with leaves or debris can result in that happening good luck with it

Thanks. Although same question applies - if the guttering was blocked would I not experience the same problem in both upstairs bathrooms?

First thing to do is go and check the guttering and work back - process of elimination if you don't want to check yourself call the local plumber we are trying to visualise the jobs in our head and trying to assess the best solution for you

Thanks. Although same question applies - if the guttering was blocked would I not experience the same problem in both upstairs bathrooms?

The pressures, air movement and resistance will be different at various points in the system so the issue can show in one place and not another.

ive never seen a soil venting by the gutters ,possibly its a durgo valve stuck or partial blockage

Older combined systems use to be vent like that you would see a round wire mesh cowl just above the gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gurgling shower drain when toilet flushes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock