Search the forum,

Discuss Header tank for solid fuel open vented central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Looking for a simple solution for a header tank for a solid fuel stove, open vented, pumped central heating system. Would like tank to be opaque, so level of coolant can be checked, obviously good for high temps (100deg plus?) roughly 2l capacity, and to have an overflow connection.

Have looked at some car tanks on fleabay, but most seem to have 8mm hose connectors which feels too small to me. Rest of the pipework is in 22mm, I'm sure 15mm would be fine, but feel nervous about 'throttling' down to 8mm.

Thanks

Why would you need to check the level of water in the tank?
It will remain correct level for years.
And 15mm will not be fine for tank outlet, - it requires minimum 22mm connection - check MIs and other regs.
Why also just 2 litre? Normal is a 10/4 expansion tank - with actual fill volume of 4 litre.
Just need a metal galvanised tank, with metal float on ball valve and remember the vent pipe also needs to be minimum 22mm and at a correct height before dropping down into top of tank.
Tank will need a lid and overflow etc to regs.
See stove manufacturer MIs

Installation is on a boat, not sure if that makes a difference to regs... But it does make a difference to the available space. I have roughly 20cm cubed to fit the tank in to.

System will not be connected to mains, will not have a ball valve to top up, will be filled with glycol mix. Checking level is essential if system has run hot, boiled over and lost coolant.

Sorry, perhaps should have given more background to start with.

My cousin converted an old Jerry can......
Please make sure all flammable liquid has been suitably removed. I know this sounds rather Heath Robinson, but could do the job in the circumstances.

I've seen proprietary copper header tanks for solid fuel that look precisely like the bottom part of a copper cylinder, thus suggesting a cheaper alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Header tank for solid fuel open vented central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock