Search the forum,

Discuss Heating and gas foundation course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I'm sure I'm not the first to post about this but what is your alls feeling about a 7 month foundation course for heating and gas. I've moved here from America a couple of years ago and I've been in the irrigation (7 years) and borehole(2 years) fields. So as you can tell I don't have much of a background in it but upon completing the course I've already got a few ins with some companies. Upon completing the course I believe I will have CCN1, CENWAT, CPA1. I've also attached the course modules/outlines to see what you guys think of the course.

I also fully understand that the best thing to learn is obviously to get the experience day in day out in the field. Thanks!

IMG_7500.PNG

IMG_7501.PNG

There is no heating knowledge within that course.
You will not get employment with a company with only 2-3 weeks experience building a portfolio & if you try to go self employed you will need to get Gas Safe inspected but what sort of gas work will you be able to get? Most will be boiler related & you will need to understand heating systems & controls wiring etc.
Sorry to put you down but if you are spending that sort of money you really do need to understand what you are getting into & the market you will be in.
Best of luck

You have to start somewhere
The course is good, you cover quite a lot just make sure you listen and understand it.
The niceic regs books are good to learn from too, and easy to find what your looking for.

Crack on pal......

There is no heating knowledge within that course.
You will not get employment with a company with only 2-3 weeks experience building a portfolio & if you try to go self employed you will need to get Gas Safe inspected but what sort of gas work will you be able to get? Most will be boiler related & you will need to understand heating systems & controls wiring etc.
Sorry to put you down but if you are spending that sort of money you really do need to understand what you are getting into & the market you will be in.
Best of luck

Thank you for your response. I'm anticipating a family friend taking me on a few days a week while I do the course so I can apply what I'm learning. But if you don't mind me asking why do you say there is no heating knowledge in the course? Thanks again for your response!

You have to start somewhere
The course is good, you cover quite a lot just make sure you listen and understand it.
The niceic regs books are good to learn from too, and easy to find what your looking for.

Crack on pal....

I've got you telling me it looks like a good course and thE guy above you saying there's no heating knowledge to be learned in the course... I knew this course would be controversial to some in the field.

I've just done the course in the Midlands, that's how I know it's good.

The other guy got you running before you can walk, in his comments.
You get knowledge and experience in the field.

Thank you for your response. I'm anticipating a family friend taking me on a few days a week while I do the course so I can apply what I'm learning. But if you don't mind me asking why do you say there is no heating knowledge in the course? Thanks again for your response!
Hi Joseph
The course is a Gas foundation only, there is no learning or assessment on heating & heating systems. I have worked in gas training so I do know this course.
That is good if you can work along side someone, I would say it is essential if you are going to understand & feel comfortable undertaking the ACS and then getting onto the Register.
Tip - Do not start the course unless you have a firm agreement with this family friend about what site training & ask what sort of gas work he undertakes & how often. You have to show a minimum number of hours on a range of appliances. Seen too many spend their money & not be able to get the work experience.

I've just done the course in the Midlands, that's how I know it's good.

The other guy got you running before you can walk, in his comments.
You get knowledge and experience in the field.
Absolutely, working along side someone who is willing to pass on their knowledge & skills or did you mean taking on work you don't understand & charging the customer for the mistakes you make while you learn ? Forgive an old cynic but I see more & more of the latter & a lot less of the former.

To be honest I admire anyone that's willing to take the jump from a full-time job into our market. That said, I do think it's important to be realistic about the opportunities these courses offer you. As the people who've been on this forum for a while know, I'm one of those people who career changed in my late 20s and did a 'fast-track' plumbing course to kick start that. It was 6 weeks full-time with OLCI, basically teaching me to C&G Level 2 in Domestic Plumbing. The course was as thorough as a classroom based course could be in that time. BUT, what it didn't give you was the most important part - EXPERIENCE.

If you want to install gas boilers, how will you do this with no plumbing experience? Rightly or wrongly, customers expect gas fitters to be able to install all aspects of plumbing related to boilers. For this reason I think people who do gas courses first without a good 5 years or so of plumbing experience are madder than a box of frogs.

If going the fast track way, here is the proven way to do it: -

1.) Spend your money on a fast track course that qualifies you to C&G Level 2 in plumbing. You may decide to find a provider that offers NVQ assessments when you start fitting bathrooms etc. Only really necessary if you want to work for someone else essentially. You don't need a NVQ if you are going to work for yourself.

2.) Start up your own business. Make sure you have a local contact - an experienced plumber, you will be calling on them and passing them a fair few jobs to start with!! To start with, limit yourself to the jobs you feel confident to do. Tap replacements/repairs, toilet repairs etc. If you get anything you're not sure about, pass the work to your contact - he gets paid for doing it and you watch and learn. This way the customer remains yours and you are gaining valuable experience. He gets paid for the job so it's win win.

3.) As you get more confident you will be passing the contact less and less work. Always be aware of your limitations and grow the business from there. After about 5 years you will be comfortable with most domestic plumbing issues that crop up. This is the time to start looking at gas courses!!

Gas should be the icing on the cake, the last thing a plumber qualifies on in his career. So many boiler faults are actually down to plumbing issues. Without experience of this, you become just another fast-track clown who actually has no clue how to do anything.

When I did my portfolio I was trained by one such person to start with. I moved to a more experienced gas engineer as soon as I realised I actually knew more than he did!!

Experience is everything in this game and qualifications count for very little.

Unfortunately it's fairly well known that plumbing on it's own doesn't make you that great a living. The money is definitely in doing gas work. The main reason for this is that every boiler you fit should (if you've done a good job) guarantee you repeat work every year through the annual service. Every gas fire you fit, the same. That's not the case with plumbing, it's usually replace a tap and then you won't hear from the customer for a good while.

The above fact doesn't mean you should jump the plumbing side. One leads into the other!!

Hi Cr0ft.

Your reply was very informative and concise especially for myself.

I have level 2 presently (6189-11) and after 5 years of general plumbing and heating for myself (hot and cold services, vented cylinders, heating systems and bathrooms/kitchens) I am trying to gain valuable experience and training in the domestic gas sector for mainly boiler and fire appliances (installation and servicing). I cannot find ANYONE willing to help me build a portfolio even if I worked for free and just watched!

My question therefore;
How do I go about getting my ACS gas training started? Loan around £5k to do a 4-6 week course and hope it works out for me? Also taking into account as many weeks of lost earnings...

Any help and advice would really be appreciated. I am in Essex and willing to travel with own van and tools (and packed lunch )

Thanks

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating and gas foundation course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Hey, I'm a new entrant and I've just completed my 2 year training course and have my final week gas assessment next week. I was just looking for some advice on what I can expect? (I'm not asking for answers or cheat sheets, just what the final assessment week intales so I can be best prepared)...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This line of work means I have on average 6+ months off a year, im thinking of training to become a domestic gas engineer in my time off to earn a bit extra...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock