Search the forum,

Discuss Help and guidance needed in fitting radiator in bathroom. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a towel rail plumbed into the central heating system in my bathroom; I want to replace it with a radiator and preferably without having to drain the system.
The towel rail goes straight into the two valves which are installed vertically the distance between the centres of the two valves is 460mm so I figure that I need a 400mm wide radiator installed with a right angled inlet valve and right angled lockshield valve both with adjustable tails.
Given that conclusion is accurate can I install them into the existing valves or do I need to remove the existing valves completely?
If I need to remove them before installing the new ones is it feasible to use a pipe freezing kit so as to avoid draining down?
Any help and guidance much appreciated.

If your existing valves are straight type, then you need to replace them with the right angled type if you replace with rad as you describe.
It can be done with freezing the pipes, but a pro would be able to do it without.
What system do you have? A sealed system, like with a combi boiler, etc. is straightforward to drop the pressure usually

You usually allow around 45mm either side of a radiator for valves
You would need a radiator with centres the same distance from the wall as your towel rail
Probably cheaper to pay a plumber than hire a freezer machine

Thanks for responding - Best - system is a vaillant combi boiler
scott_d - thanks for info

If it is only a nut and olive replacement for each valve, then just needs the pressure dropped fully and any auto vents wee manual plugs closed to prevent air sucking in. Then fit one valve, making sure it is fully closed before doing next one.
As Scott pointed out, your new rad needs to match distance out from wall to pipes centres

The distance between centres on the two nuts on the pipes that stick out of the floor is 460mm. Scott stated that you allow 45mm for each new valve that's 90mm leaving 370mm. If I get a rad that is 300mm wide or 350mm if I can find one and use telescopic tails on the two valves do you think that will work?
rgds

modern valves are 15mm so you can make long tails with a male iron fitting in the rad and a bit of chrome tube as long as you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help and guidance needed in fitting radiator in bathroom. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock