Search the forum,

Discuss Help choosing lpg/oil/biomass please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys and girls!

First post here and it’s a request for help please :)

We live in cornwall,3 storey timber framed semi with 5 beds 3 bathrooms. 2 adults 3 children

Currently on storage heaters (no mains gas)which cause 2 main issues-we occasionally run out of hot water and we Have 2 rooms that get very cold (conservatory and downstairs toilet,both unheated)

Last year we had new windows and doors, this year we want to put in a wet system and (potentially) run Honeywell evo home zones.

EPC says 12,000 for spac heating and 3,000 for hot water.

Budget upto £15k (absolute budget would be £18k but don’t won’t to cripple myself)

We don’t have the space for an LPG tank so would need bottles if going gas but do have the space for an oil tank.

Can I ask for help please guys, I’m getting lost with biased opinions and it’s all getting on top of me :(

Apologies for the long no winded first post but thought it best to get as much info in as possible

Thanks again

Arron

Someone on here recently said that lpg is about to get massive price hikes, but that could be speculation, so lpg could potentially be a large future fuel cost.

Biomass you need a fair bit of space and requires you to be there to refill/clean etc, so more user labour intensive.

Oil I'm not very clued up on. Neighbors have it as we have no gas main, that was last year and lpg was as an option. Someone will give a more comprehensive review I'm sure but that's my 2 cents.

Lpg will be expensive, especially off of bottles.
Bio mass, space for chip storage, boiler and store.
Oil for me. Last full oil installation into 3 bed terrace was 7.5k. But that was a combi. Combi won't work for you. What's your incoming water main flow and pressures like? Enough to support unvented?

Seems like logically the oil boiler would be the best fit, yet there's some stuff you need to take into consideration that I wish I knew when I got my oil boiler.
  • The prices have been on the rise for the past few years
  • Oil is not available on mains supply, and supply is depenedant on local oil providers during times of high demand
  • Oil boilers are generally not as energy efficient as gas boiler
  • Reduced temperature when multiple taps are used simultaneously

Lpg will be expensive, especially off of bottles.
Bio mass, space for chip storage, boiler and store.
Oil for me. Last full oil installation into 3 bed terrace was 7.5k. But that was a combi. Combi won't work for you. What's your incoming water main flow and pressures like? Enough to support unvented?

Water pressure is high, can’t give a figure but I will buy a tester and come back to you with an exact figure!
We’ve had one quote for oil which was £13k not including laying the concrete slab for boiler/tank..I felt that price was rather high?!

Seems like logically the oil boiler would be the best fit, yet there's some stuff you need to take into consideration that I wish I knew when I got my oil boiler.
  • The prices have been on the rise for the past few years
  • Oil is not available on mains supply, and supply is depenedant on local oil providers during times of high demand
  • Oil boilers are generally not as energy efficient as gas boiler
  • Reduced temperature when multiple taps are used simultaneously

Thanks for the reply!
I think all the points you have raised are valid and ones that I’ve already considered with the exception of reduced temp when running multiple taps, we very really run more than one tap at a time so should be ok on that front :)

Oil prices fluctuate over the year and will rise in September.

Oil availability shouldn't be an issue if you have the correct sized tank installed.

Oil boiler manufacturers may have something to say about efficiencies but as long as you have a correctly sized boiler, necessary controls in place then they are just as good as gas.

Reduced temp at taps isn't an issue if you have the right boiler for the job unless you look at a combi.

I would propose heat only and unvented (subject to flow and pressures).

Too far away to give you a price. But there will be a lot of variables. Tank location and routing oil line to boiler location. Cylinder location. Pipe runs etc.

You want at least another two estimates.

Oil prices fluctuate over the year and will rise in September.

Oil availability shouldn't be an issue if you have the correct sized tank installed.

Oil boiler manufacturers may have something to say about efficiencies but as long as you have a correctly sized boiler, necessary controls in place then they are just as good as gas.

Reduced temp at taps isn't an issue if you have the right boiler for the job unless you look at a combi.

I would propose heat only and unvented (subject to flow and pressures).

Too far away to give you a price. But there will be a lot of variables. Tank location and routing oil line to boiler location. Cylinder location. Pipe runs etc.

You want at least another two estimates.

Thank you for your help :)

Why would you say no to a combi? One of the biggest reasons we want central heating is because we keep running out of hot water (210 litre unvented tank currently) a problem that will only get worse as the 3 kids grow up

3 bed semi, one bathroom no problem.
Multiple bathrooms and you will find poor performance from a combi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help choosing lpg/oil/biomass please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm hoping for some advice. We have a very ancient thermostat for our radiators in a very old building. This morning there was no heat and the display was blank, so I've changed the batteries and reset, but I can't change the time to allow the program buttons to work. After the reset...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hello everybody! I have little issue, and hope you will be able to help: I have very old oil boiler on conventional system. What happens is: When i turn central heating on, boiler is heating for about 1 hour, what happens at the end is pipes sound really loud(loud crackling sound) and overflow...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock