Search the forum,

Discuss Help identification of Hot water cylinder I am working on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can anyone identify this behemoth? Looks like a vented combination cylinder, but not sure why it has 2 pumps and so many tappings

No pic mate ?

IMG-20161219-WA0010.jpg

Looks like a thermal store with tank on top

There is a heat only boiler downstairs, the cylinder has 2 pumps, a cold mains to the tank on top, a cold main directly into the cylinder, a hot out into a blending valve where it mixes with the cold mains so it looks like a vented.cylinder but also an unvented cylinder??

There are no zone valves or expansion vessel /pressure relief but there is a pressure reducing valve on the cold going directly to the cylinder and blending valve.
The shower is.giving 22 litres per minute

My brother in law has recently bought a house with the same set up. In 15 years I have never seen one before. Like already mentioned, it is a thermal store-when I first saw it I wondered why a fortic had mains cold to it!!!!!!! The expansion is taken up like a fortic would be, quite easy to change over to unvented, although boiler will probably need replacing as well. Bro in laws house is only tiny so fitting a combi in the new year.

It looks like a very early Range Flowmax , or might actually be a IMI .
IMI became Range

The cylinder contained the heating water (rather than the hot) the tank on top was actually the heating f&e tank.
The one pump pumped to the boiler, the other pump pumped to the rads. And the return from the radiators went back into the bottom of the cylinder.
The cold mains pipe went through the coil in the cylinder (as the heating water usually does) and then went to a TMV mixing valve where it mixed with the cold mains and out to all hot outlets at mains pressure.
There was also a large wiring centre / junction box.
Downstairs was an ideal classic and Drayton room thermostat.
Ripped it all out and fitted a baxi 33 duotec and a nest thermostat.
With regards to the.pipework, I connected [the pipe that had.the.pump to boiler ] to the return pipe from rads. And I connected [the pipe that had the pump to the rads] to the other pipe from the boiler
I capped off the hot and cold.
All working like a.dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help identification of Hot water cylinder I am working on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi all. This ‘valve’ is at the bottom of our domestic hot water cylinder. Anyone have any idea what it is please? It must’ve been there for many years and seems to be leaking.
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock