Search the forum,

Discuss HELP NEEDED!!! Green Bath Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago I woke up to find water leaking through my daughters ceiling. Went into the loft and found water leaking from the expansion tank called a plumber and had a new one fitted that day. Thinking all the problems would be sorted and to Bath my children that night to find the hot water running green thinking that it was just the water cylinder in the loft and mixed causing this and running the water a few times would solve the green water with no luck. We then thought that the coil must have ruptured in the pressurised cylinder causing the water to be green so changed this and tested the water in the bath and it ran clear problem solved so I thought until later that night same again the hot water runs green. I'm now out of ideas as to what is causing this and any help would be appreciated I'm not sure if it's safe to Bath my kids in so using my parents which is very inconvienient. The cold water is fine and runs clear and the hot water was not green before the expansion tank leaked in the first place. Any help appreciated. Thanks

how is bath piped up? are their flexible hoses? could you post picture of water?

just to clarify you have had brand new header tank for heating and new hotter cylinder, is this unvented? as you mention pressurised?

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's a non vented system. I have changed the cylinder and the expansion vessel and the hot water is still running green. I'm pretty sure it's not just confined to the bath as can see a tinge in the basins upstairs and the sink in the kitchen downstairs it's just harder to see. As I said before we did not have this issue of green hot water before the expansion vessel leaked in the first place. I ran the bath today to take pictures and left it sit there for abit when I let it out I noticed at the bottom that it left a red residue all over the bath that's I have not noticed before. If anyone has anymore ideas it would be a great help. I am attaching pics of the colour water and how the bath is plumbed in and the residue left after I let the bath out.

Many Thanks in advance

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

Is it just coming out the hot taps or both the hot and cold ?

Cylinder needs draining and flushing maybe a few times your plumber was G3 registered and has registered the new cylinder with building control??

Yes my plumber is registered not sure if he registered the cylinder with building control though. Would draining and flushing the cylinder work because the water started turning green in between changing the expansion vessel after it leaked and putting a new cylinder in.

Yes my plumber is registered not sure if he registered the cylinder with building control though. Would draining and flushing the cylinder work because the water started turning green in between changing the expansion vessel after it leaked and putting a new cylinder in.

your best bet would to call him back as its not totally right

I have and he's not sure either. He's on about changing copper pipes to and from the tank but how can something happened to them overnight. Is it easy to drain and flush a cylinder s couple of times. Sorry for all te questions just want some kind of idea what's happening so I don't get strung along for changing things I don't have to. Thanks

I have and he's not sure either. He's on about changing copper pipes to and from the tank but how can something happened to them overnight. Is it easy to drain and flush a cylinder s couple of times. Sorry for all te questions just want some kind of idea what's happening so I don't get strung along for changing things I don't have to. Thanks

i disagree with its the copper pipes it would of been there from day one

and there should be a drain off on the cylinder, mains off and hose pipe on that to drain and open a hot tap etc

Will have to try that will try anything to try and clear this I don't really want to bath my children in it because it smells very metallic and seeing all the residue left earlier on is very concerning. If anyone has anymore ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I could be going off track here... but he hasn't put chemicals into the wrong pipework by accident has he???

I will ask him but I'm pretty sure he didn't. As we originally thought that the cylinder was damaged after the expansion vessel broke and the green water first started appearing could there be some still in the system from before changing the cylinder.

if he hasnt flushed it yes there could be

Think that's the route to go for the minute is it easy to do as he is on holiday for a week from today?

any chance of a few pics of the cylinder when you have five mins?

picture of cylinder install may help, how much water has been run through system as would expect if chemicals/flux etc it would have run it through in couple of days.

not used some old heating pipes to run a hot feed or reused some old pipe he had on van? looks similar to magnetite from picture to me but may not be. best to get him back as never had this happen to me yet, be interest to know the cause.

hope it gets sorted

Two weeks ago I woke up to find water leaking through my daughters ceiling. Went into the loft and found water leaking from the expansion tank called a plumber and had a new one fitted that day. Thinking all the problems would be sorted and to Bath my children that night to find the hot water running green thinking that it was just the water cylinder in the loft and mixed causing this and running the water a few times would solve the green water with no luck. We then thought that the coil must have ruptured in the pressurised cylinder causing the water to be green so changed this and tested the water in the bath and it ran clear problem solved so I thought until later that night same again the hot water runs green. I'm now out of ideas as to what is causing this and any help would be appreciated I'm not sure if it's safe to Bath my kids in so using my parents which is very inconvienient. The cold water is fine and runs clear and the hot water was not green before the expansion tank leaked in the first place. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Check to make sure the proper expansion vessel has been installed, not a vessel you would use on a central heating system, but one that is lined for potable water use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HELP NEEDED!!! Green Bath Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock