Search the forum,

Discuss help needed on pipe sizes etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all
im renovating a 3 bed semi d i got a few months back. im putting in a all new central heating systems. i got all the rads (7) there size for each room and trv for a good deal a long time back. i need to run all the pipe work now so i can close up some 0f the rooms.
im running really low on cash as i never expected to do so much work to this house.

so my questions are
from were the boiler will be i was thinking of runing two runs of 3/4 pex flow and return
and then use 1/2 pex to do the drops to each rad but iv have just opened the vavles that came with the rads and they are 15mm so is it best to use 15mm for the drops to main 3/4

any help on pipe sizes would be great .
thanks

Where in this lovely world are you ?

Normal practice would be to use copper on the drops as it looks neater and can be decorated in with the room , i personally try to avoid plastic fittings where ever possible but sometimes it unavoidable especially on new builds, if you are a competent DIY er then there no reason why you cannot fit the radiators yourself , but anything involving the boiler and gas supply you will need to employ a GSRI best of luck kop

As above really, I would also prefer either the drops in copper which will give a much better finish or if you aim for a better finish chase them into the wall. This way you will hardly see any pipework. Obviously there is more work and perhaps money involved due to the fact you require different rads.

But as KOP has mentioned you best way of doing the drops are in copper.

Regards,

Ron

Hi I have fitted the up stairs rads to walls just to get them out of the way just not any of the pipe work yet.
The upstairs rads will all run into the floor and I have the ceilings down downstairs so easy access for all the pipe work .

I was thinking of copper for the drops would be neater
I was going to use compression fittings
Should I stick to 15mm pipe or do the copper drop in 15 and use a 15mm x 1/2 315 (as I have some 1/2 pex all ready) to run to the 3/4 pipe

I will not be going near the gas /boiler

Ceiling is down take a picture from below

suzfvs.jpg

I'm not in the house at the moment.
This is a quick drawing

What pex have you got ?

What boiler are you fitting? Combi?
What make pipe/fittings?

Looks suitable for a hep 2o install drill the joists as per regs. And thread 22mm pipe through i would still fit copper drops though

1/2 for one to two rads any more need a drop each

As shaun says no more than 2 rads on one set of 15mm drops what sort of fittings are you using on the pipe ?

As shaun says no more than 2 rads on one set of 15mm drops what sort of fittings are you using on the pipe ?

I was just thinking one drop per rad
But that good to see I have an option to do two
Compression are the most common used on this pipe

Maybe you should offer to pay someone to do a proper pipe design for you.

Or maybe you should go to a supplier that offers to do a pipe design for you if you buy their equipment.

It's obvious that you have no experience in designing a heating system and you want someone to design it for you - for free.

You want to install it yourself --- what's in it for anyone that offers you help?

I hope the free advice you get - you will be able to litigate against someone if it all goes wrong.

There's more to designing a heating system than assuming 22mm mains and 15mm drops - even if they can be split into 2.

This is a Plumbers Forum - not a free heating / hydraulics design forum.

There's plenty of experience here & most offer it for nothing.

If your lucks up, you will get someone to size, design and virtually install your system for you.

All the best

Or maybe you should go to a supplier that offers to do a pipe design for you if you buy their equipment.

It's obvious that you have no experience in designing a heating system and you want someone to design it for you - for free.

You want to install it yourself --- what's in it for anyone that offers you help?

I hope the free advice you get - you will be able to litigate against someone if it all goes wrong.

There's more to designing a heating system than assuming 22mm mains and 15mm drops - even if they can be split into 2.

If your lucks up, you will get someone to size, design and virtually install your system for you.

All the best
Hi going to try get someone in. The problem is the few plumbers I do know /tryed are to busy or don't even answer the phone

All the best

Thanks for the input some good points iv been on to a few plumbers one quoted 7 grand a bit on the high side and the others
Said to busy for a small job . I was just hoping to close up more of the house over the long weekend we have here. Waiting one lad to get back to me hopefully he works out.

Iv help poeple out online in my trade lots of times and never though about what's in it for me. Bad way to think on a forum.

Last edited:
A full heating system is too small a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help needed on pipe sizes etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock