Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed with Vantage Dual Flush Cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnHarrison

The initial problem was that the 'quick' flush was not working but the full flush was fine.
In the process of investigating, I am now at the point where the 2 tubes - one green, the other clear - have come out of where they go somewhere down below. I tied up the float to cut off the water inlet valve then syphoned off most of the water in the cistern (sucked too hard but only swallowed a bit!)
My problem now is I cannot see where the bottom ends of the tubes fit as there's not much space. They are still connected to the button.
I would appreciate some advice how to proceed without disassembling to much and without the risk of a flood.
BTW, the cistern is 7 years old.
Thank you in anticipation.

syphoned off most of the water in the cistern (sucked too hard but only swallowed a bit!)

Not a good idea. The water in a cistern is often not potable and frequently has toilet cleaner (from one of those tabs or blocks people put in their cistern) in it. If you are using a piece of tube as a siphon immerse it completely so it fills with water then stick your thumb over one end and lift it out and into position. If there's any chance of toilet cleaner in the water wear gloves.

Another trick is to have a couple of rubber bungs so you can prefill the siphon with water put it in place and then remove the bungs (top first).

On the actual problem, this may help:

Most recent flush valves turn and unlock from the base so you can take them out without needing to remove the cistern. Try giving it a turn to see if it comes out, if so just whip it out and see where your tubes go. If they came off once though, it'll probably happen again

if the rubber tubes are long enough cut 20mm off the ends to make them fit tight that would stop them coming off again.

Correction: the cistern was fitted 10 years ago, not 7. Also, I'm not a new member. It's at least 2 years since I joined when I needed help replacing the shower. I got some excellent advice and the shower is still going strong.
Thanks Chuck for your warning about my method of siphoning (and for correcting my spelling!). Your method of filling the hose with water first worked a treat. I'll remember that in future.
I've watched the video several times. I successfully turned off the water supply which surprised me as I thought the screw would be seized up. But the rest of the procedure looks much simpler on the video than my situation. My water pipe is touching the top of the green housing which will not be so easy to remove as in the video. I would first have to remove the left end of the water pipe from the cistern housing. Everything looks seized up and could easily break. I'm going to have a break and a cuppa now. I may have another go or I may decide to get a plumber for this. But thanks again.

Thanks JC but I did not understand what you wrote. Is the 'flush valve' the big green casing? I can see that it's not necessary to remove the whole cistern off the wall. It's the water pipe sitting on top of the green thing that's the current problem.

Thanks for your tip, Pete. That could apply to other jobs I suppose, not only for plumbing.

Well, I don't want to celebrate to early but I think I've fixed it.
I didn't have a cuppa. I went round to my neighbour to see if he could recommend a plumber. But their curtains were drawn and I thought there might be a bereavement or it might have just been an inconvenient time.
Anyway, I just decided to go for it. I think the quick and full flushes are the wrong way round. But, come to think of it, it's probably always been like that. I think the small button is supposed to be the small/quick flush. If necessary, I suppose it can be corrected by simply swapping the pipes round on the other side of the button.
Thanks again for all your help and encouragement.

I've watched the video several times. I successfully turned off the water supply which surprised me as I thought the screw would be seized up. But the rest of the procedure looks much simpler on the video than my situation.

It's possible you have a different (older?) model than the one in the video. It was the right maker and showed a clear and green tube as you described so I thought it was worth a punt.

It also felt a bit sanctimonious to warn you not to drink water from a loo-cistern without trying to help with the problem that caused you to take such drastic action :)

Thanks JC but I did not understand what you wrote. Is the 'flush valve' the big green casing? I can see that it's not necessary to remove the whole cistern off the wall. It's the water pipe sitting on top of the green thing that's the current problem.
You've sorted it now so happy days! But, yes the flush valve is the bit in the middle that the pipes should have been connected to. I thought your issue was a lack of space was meaning you couldn't get to the bit where the pipes should go back on. popping the valve out would have made that easier.
Glad you sorted it out anyway, well done :)

Hi, on the older models, the pneumatic lines connected to the drop valve through rubber connections. Over time, and with fiddling, these were prone to cracking. I would advise that you replaced the drop valve, as they do have a finite lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed with Vantage Dual Flush Cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock