Search the forum,

Discuss Help - radiator valves wont disconnect from pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

Need a bit of advice please! I am trying to remove two radiator valves in my bathroom as I have bought straight ones for my new towel rail. I have drained the system however the problem is I can't get the two valves off! I can turn them easily with a wrench and have turned them hundreds of times but they wont disconnect from the pipe. Any ideas? A bit hesitant to get a plumber out for a 2 minute job. Thanks in advance.

Link for image: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

http://*********/a/yYHss

The pic is an ISO valve ??

And tbh might be best you call a plumber out unless the system is already drained

Yes thats correct - is it difficult to remove? I have drained the system already

Undo the bottom nut and should come off easily

May need a twist of the main body (valve) but should come off

Undo the bottom nut and should come off easily

May need a twist of the main body (valve) but should come off
It doesn't come off! It turns easily just wont come off. should i use 2 wrenches - one to hold the bottom nut still and one to turn the valve? Was worried i would break the pipe doing this.

It doesn't come off! It turns easily just wont come off. should i use 2 wrenches - one to hold the bottom nut still and one to turn the valve? Was worried i would break the pipe doing this.

Yes you need to do that

You will understand if you remove the top nut

It's not push fit it's a compression fitting

I see, feel so stupid now. Thank you!
Since you didn't know how to dismantle a compression joint I suspect you won't know how to assemble one correctly either. Google 'copper compression joints' for many websites explaining how to do it. Read several. Here's an some fairly detailed information:

Compression fitting - DIYWiki

And I'm expecting ShaunCorb to recommend another below. He didn't like my original suggestion, possibly because it used sealant on the thread rather than a lubricant such as ptfe tape.

Check the finished joints very carefully for leaks. Then check again in a day or so.

Don't forget to put the correct amount and type of corrosion inhibitor back into the system when you refill it.

Last edited:
Since you didn't know how to dismantle a compression joint I suspect you won't know how to assemble one correctly either. Google 'copper compression joints' for many websites explaining how to do it. Read several. Here's an example:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/copper_compression_joints.htm

Check the finished joints very carefully for leaks. Then check again in a day or so.

Don't forget to put the correct amount and type of corrosion inhibitor back into the system when you refill it.

I wouldn't use that link as a reference

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
I wouldn't use that link as a reference

Okay, I've replaced that one with what I think is a better one, but it may be overkill as far as detail is concerned. Is there a site you would recommend?

It seems a bit strange that ukplumbersforums doesn't have it's own set of 'how to' guides for basic tasks. Is this policy, or has nobody got around to it yet?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info, will give them a read! I have another query however. I have just turned on the heating and the boiler made some loud bangs so I hurriedly switched off the heating. Any reason for the cause? There is one valve in the loft that i have left closed after draining the system, and that's because it has started leaking. The valve didn't turn off the water from the tap so I'm guessing that it is linked to the boiler somehow?

did you fill the system back up?

did you fill the system back up?
That just involves turning the stopcock and valves open right? Or is there more to it!

Just been back up to the loft and the valve seems to have stopped leaking now so its open again. When I turned it, the container housing the ball float filled up with water.

I have just turned on the heating and the boiler made some loud bangs

Loud bangs from a boiler are not a good sign. I recommend that you don't switch it on again until it's been checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

The good news is that they'll be able to sort out your valve problems at the same time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help - radiator valves wont disconnect from pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock