Search the forum,

Discuss Help with boiler - First Home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My partner and I have bought our first home and it's in need of a complete refurbishment.

It is a bit daunting and we need help. We live in Scotland and we don't have family or close friends here to help or advise and we have so many questions.

The first question it is about the central heating. The house is heated by a regular gas boiler connected to the radiator and shower with a small hot water tank and 2 cold water tanks in the loft. The radiators don't look too old and the cooper pipes on the back look ok.
We need to know if we can install a few extra radiator around the house and a second shower room downstairs. I am worry about low water pressure or if any of us have a bath the other one will have cold water after.

If somebody could advise us it would great,

Please see photo attached.

Thank you.

20170607_132344(1).jpg

do you know your incoming water flow rate and pressure?

As shaun is asking providing you have a good incoming supply then a combi boiler may be the way to go cheers kop

I haven't gotten the keys for he house yet. I should be moving in a few weeks.

I don't know flow rate.

Could you please explain me why I would need a combi boiler instead please? I have no much idea about plumbing or heating and we are trying to put together all the expenses for the refurbishment.

Thank you

As shaun is asking providing you have a good incoming supply then a combi boiler may be the way to go cheers kop

with two bathrooms was thinking of unvented cylinder, since you could possible keep the existing boiler then

I would say unvented also. Especially with more then one bathroom!

A good quality combi would be the cheapest way to go improve on what you have , it would also free up space in that cupboard it can run two oulets providing you have a good pressure and flow , restrictors in the shower mixer outlets would work
you only heat the water you use and will not run out , cheers kop

If I replace the existing boiler with a combi I would use the opportunity to move the boiler to a different closet a few feet ago and install 3 extra radiator. Also I would like to remove the existing tanks in the loft to release space for storage.

I would like to know roughly how much this could cost me. I didn't plan for a new boiler and I will have to find the money for this.

I know it is difficult to estimate but I need a rough figure to plan the project.

The house is a semi-detached ex-council house in Perth, Scotland.

Thank you for all your help.

I would say 4.5-6k without looking at it

Would be for a 35kw combi boiler and new gas run aprox

wow, it is much more than I expected.

I am thinking about adding the radiators to the existing boiler and connect the new shower downstairs (it will be rarely used). Then complete the refurbishment plastering walls, laying new floors, etc.

How difficult would it be in a few years time to replace it with a combi? Would it be very destructive, lifting floors, making holes in the walls...?

Last edited:
We have been today in Ikea for a kitchen design and a basic one is over £7000, included installation. Then it doesn't leave much room for new combi boiler.

I am thinking about reallocating the boiler to a different cupboard a few feets away, connect 3 new radiators to the existing boiler and lay the plumbing for the new shower downstairs (it will be rarely used). Then complete the refurbishment plastering walls, laying new floors, etc.

1. How difficult would it be in a few years time to replace it with a combi? Would it be very destructive, lifting floors, making holes in the walls...? Would the new boilder use the same pipes?

2. Do you think the existing boiler with the 50 litres hot water tank would do the job for just a bathroom with a bath for a few years until we save enough money for a new one?

3. Is there any risk in moving an old boiler (you can see it on the photos) to be honest I don't know how old or reliable the existing boiler is and we haven't gotten the keys for the house yet so i'm not able to check the specs.

4. In your opinion, do you think this is a good plan? any downside?

I can really describe how much I appreciate all your help and advises. We have been saving money for the last 6 years to buy the house and we don't want to make any stupid mistake. I know we could get quotes and professional advise but I don't have the keys for the house yet and we are trying to learn as much as we can in the meantime.

1 if the boiler was in the same place not much

2 yes but the issue is pressure, dont be surprised if you dont get a very good shower, unless its an electric one

3 yes best not to move an old boiler

4 depends on your budget

me personally would want a decent heating system before a kitchen unless the installed one is non existing / falling apart

1 if the boiler was in the same place not much

2 yes but the issue is pressure, dont be surprised if you dont get a very good shower, unless its an electric one

3 yes best not to move an old boiler

4 depends on your budget

me personally would want a decent heating system before a kitchen unless the installed one is non existing / falling apart

Thank you for your reply.

In your opinion how much do you think it will cost me to install a new combi boiler to replace the current one a few feet away, run pipes for a new bathroom downstairs and install 3 new heaters?

in other post I have been given figures around 5k and it seems a lot. How much do you reckon it will cost

Thanks again.

About that maybe more best bet is to get a few quotes and come back to us

We have been saving money for the last 6 years to buy the house and we don't want to make any stupid mistake. I know we could get quotes and professional advise but I don't have the keys for the house yet and we are trying to learn as much as we can in the meantime.

It is a lot easier to spend £1000 than it is to save £1000. If the house is habitable, my advice is not to spend anything until you've lived in it for a bit and got your budget and priorities clear in your mind.

Start by making sure that the roof isn't leaking, gutters and drains are clear and working properly, paint on exterior woodwork is okay. Then make sure the electrical system is safe, e.g. by installing a consumer unit with RCBOs on each circuit. Next, double-glazing if not already fitted. Central heating probably comes next.

IMO, luxuries like a new bathroom or a new kitchen should wait a year or two until your finances have recovered from hammering that they'll get in the first few years of home ownership.

Plenty of options depending on budget.

Stay with current heating and hot water. Fit a shower pump and you may need additional cold water storage.

Go unvented, if pressure and flow allows.

Go combi but again if pressure and flow allows.

Don't go to ikea for bathrooms or kitchens. Over priced tat. Have a look at frontline bathrooms. Good gear at a good price.

Best thing though is to get eyes on by two or three good engineers and talk through your options. Also bear in mind if you do spend a bit on a bathroom and go option 1 then it shouldn't be a problem to swap to a combi/unvented later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with boiler - First Home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock