Search the forum,

Discuss Help with cause of Cold Water tank overflow, please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I would be grateful for some better minds to help me with my overflowing Cold Water tank.

I have an old fashioned traditional vented system with a main cold water tank and separate smaller header tank for the heating. They are both in the loft sitting on the floor with their bases at the same height.

This morning I noticed the cold water tank was overflowing. When I got to the tank it was warm and I could see the thermal plumes of hot water coming back up the HWC supply. However, the problem persists when the boiler is switched off.

If I close the HWC supply on the cold water tank then a dribble of water eventually appears out of the hot water vent once the loop has filled up.

My thinking so far is that, with the 2 tanks are at the same height, there can't be a pressure difference to push water through a split in the cylinder coil. Therefore, the leak into the hot circuit must be coming from mains water pressure somewhere.

The only places I can think of that mains pressure and the HWC are in contact are the Kitchen mixer and an upstairs venturi shower. The downstairs shower is gravity fed mixer. Downstairs bathroom taps are separate and upstairs bathroom sink mixer is gravity fed.

Isolating the kitchen mixer makes no difference. The venturi shower is fitted with check valves in both hot and cold supplies so shouldn't be the problem and isolating the cold supply to it makes no difference anyway.

The only thing that makes it stop is to turn off the main stopcock.

What am I missing? This has me stumped. I can't think where else water can be getting into the hot circuit.

I will be very grateful when somebody points out my error or what I have missed!

Thanks very much.

Mark

I stopped reading at paragraph 5 because I wonder...

Can you confirm that you have a cistern feeding the primary circuit to the boiler and a separate cistern feeding the hot water cistern (and nothing else?)

Can you confirm that the TOP of the water levels are the same height? As the height of the base isn't relevant.

Can you confirm that, as the water level in the feed cistern (the one going to cylinder) rises, the other cistern is not either emptying or refilling from the ballcock?

I'm about to read paragraphs 6 onwards...

The venturi shower is fitted with check valves in both hot and cold supplies so shouldn't be the problem and isolating the cold supply to it makes no difference anyway.
So the cold valve is not working. The check valves could also be faulty. However, if any mixer is backfeeding, you will be able to feel the hot water in the hot pipe to that mixer being pushed back by the cold.

I stopped reading at paragraph 5 because I wonder...

Can you confirm that you have a cistern feeding the primary circuit to the boiler and a separate cistern feeding the hot water cistern (and nothing else?)

Can you confirm that the TOP of the water levels are the same height? As the height of the base isn't relevant.

Can you confirm that, as the water level in the feed cistern (the one going to cylinder) rises, the other cistern is not either emptying or refilling from the ballcock?

Yes, separate tanks, the big one feeds hot water cylinder. Small one just for boiler primary circuit.

When full the top of the water in the big tank is higher by about 30cm (because it is bigger). The boiler header has only about 15cm of water in it.

Yes, there is no change in the boiler header tank as the main tank fills from the backflow.

I hope that is clear.

Thanks

Mark

So the cold valve is not working. The check valves could also be faulty. However, if any mixer is backfeeding, you will be able to feel the hot water in the hot pipe to that mixer being pushed back by the cold.

I have service isolators in the venturi shower supply. When I isolate it with them the cistern still overflows. That suggests to me it is not the source of the backflow?

Perhaps some of the valves you are turning off, are not actually working. You might have a fault in a kitchen or other mixer tap.

Have you had any plumbing work done recently, - like new mixer taps, or blending valves?

Perhaps some of the valves you are turning off, are not actually working. You might have a fault in a kitchen or other mixer tap.

Spot on! Both the venturi shower check valve AND adjacent isolation valve were faulty.

Thanks for your help.

Spot on! Both the venturi shower check valve AND adjacent isolation valve were faulty.

Thanks for your help.

Glad you eventually found the problems. Thanks for getting back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with cause of Cold Water tank overflow, please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock