Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Hilmor pipe benders help!! in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Karl

Karl Member

Hoping someone can help!! I’ve been plumbing a while and I like neat pipe work, with bends etc. I have tried various benders but the best I find are hilmor only problem is with time it throws sets out of square, more so 22! So annoying having to straighten them by hand! I’ve tried tightening the nut and bolt going through the pivot, thinking that would be the cause. But it doesn’t! Anyone have any ideas???

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Are you sure your keeping everything centred when bending ?

3. Karl

Karl Member

Yeah, when you pull bend you can see the guide running off centre, if you try and allow for the twist it’s then not central, it’s so strange and annoys the hell out of me lol

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sounds like the whole frame is twisted then

As even if the guide was off the formers would still be straight so would damage each other etc

Time for New benders by the sound of it

5. Karl

Karl Member

I was thinking this just wondered if there was something I was missing, like just changing a component thanks for the help

6. Karl

Karl Member

If I remember I’ll try and take a picture so you can see the angle

7. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have never had this happen and have had hilmor benders for 30+ years think it's time for a new set bud nothing last forever . Cheers kop

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

I bought a new set of benders last year first time used them they rippled the pipe. Took them back got another set same same .
    Bought rothenjunk snapped the arm .

I know just bend it round my neck like Geoff capes

• Like Like x 1
  9. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

I bought a new set of benders last year first time used them they rippled the pipe. Took them back got another set same same .
    Bought rothenjunk snapped the arm .

I know just bend it round my neck like Geoff capes

10. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Present day benders are gash, Record use to be the kiddies.. but they’re not about anymore

11. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

Source a 2nd hand pair of eBay..ones with the formed/bent arm. Mutts nuts!

• Like Like x 1
  12. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

13. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

I'd hazard a guess that the pivot pin for the roller is slightly bent through constant use.
    Mark a center line along the former, then a line around the roller where the former line touches at the start.
    I bet the lines don't match at the end of bending.

14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Buy a Benditnow British built bender.
    They are the old Hilmor, with same parts. Make sure you oil all moving parts regularly.
    I have the old Hilmor benders that are 50 years old and they bend pipe 15, 22 and 28mm well.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  15. Karl

Karl Member

Thanks for everyone’s ideas will definitely look into the older hilmor benders