Search the forum,

Discuss Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

As in the title, the flow and return pipes both get hot when the heating is turned on, yet only the upstairs radiators get hot.

I am very puzzled by this. Even turning off all thermostatic valves upstairs, none of the downstairs rads get hot. Our plumber says there must be a blockage looking for a second opinion. Not sure how there can be a blockage if the return is still hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

sorry mark

thanks for deleting the spam mate, some people really have nothing better to do!

it gets frustrating trying to kock them back two more pop up

right back to business how fast does the temp rise on the boiler?

could be pump stuck happens with the new eco pumps but need to be gas safe to have a look

Possible but could be a few other things that I am not allowed to tell you how to check. (Sorry)

No worries, it's just the boiler has a warranty but I don't want our plumber to try and go around it by blaming the problem on our pipes.
We haven't got much experience with them so still building up trust so don't want to be given the run around hence asking on here.

get Vaillant out there have a decent set of lads

No worries, it's just the boiler has a warranty but I don't want our plumber to try and go around it by blaming the problem on our pipes.
We haven't got much experience with them so still building up trust so don't want to be given the run around hence asking on here.
Your first point of call should always be your gas engineer. But if you have lost faith then go straight to Vaillant. They are generally really helpful and if you have warranty they will come out and have a look.

Hmm, I could time it, what time frame should it be?
May have underestimated it last time, time flies when you're having fun staring at a temperature guage

if it shoots up and doesnt go down within 2-3 mins and boiler doesnt stay lit (fired) then i would say pump could be stuck

if it shoots up and doesnt go down within 2-3 mins and boiler doesnt stay lit (fired) then i would say pump could be stuck

Right, just tried again. After turning the thermostat up, temp rose very quickly to 57, then dropped back down to 50 (sounded like pump turned on), then was fluctuating from 55-50 after 1 minute.

After 3 minutes its 57

4 minutes its 59

5 mins its 62 (boiler still fired)
7 mins in its 66

So, does seem to be rising slowly.

I am heating a click sound every so often (every 10-30 seconds) not sure if that is important.

i would say thats fine then

Reply to Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock