Search the forum,

Discuss hot water coming into cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrplumberman

i,ve just fitted a new toilet.when you flush the loo the boiler fires up.any ideas?
as the guy is going nuts.

Fantastic, have you got a combi boiler and did you connect up the hot feed or is this a wind up..............

yes it,s a combi worcester which is the same as the blokes next door to him.his seems ok though.

If you haven't connected it too hot pipe lol try restricting the flow on the wc, the pressure drop can trigger a flow switch on a combi

Logically, if all the taps are off and he flushes toilet and the boiler comes on you must have connected it to the hot....

This must be a windup

we re piped the bathroom and i think the divertor valve on the boiler is broken

i wish it was a wind up.we,re not getting paid unless its fixed the guy says.can i take him to a small claims court.?

but the hot is ok every where else except the electric shower which is boiling.the whole place has been tiled now.any ideas guys.

Way too early for all that saga, mate. TBH I wouldn't pay either! problem needs to be sorted. If there are other issues these need to be discussed first,

Put it another way, if you were your customer would you be happy,

the whole bathroom has been tiled now.there is no access to pipes at basin to see if they are crossed.

does the bouiler fire and shut down straight away? dose it run for the time the cistern fills?
Can you trace the pipe work from the cistern, thus confirm the it is a cold supply, ie it tees under the floor and up to the basin and cold comes out the basin? turn off isolator under cistern connect hose over bath and turn on, if it runs cold not your prob, if its one of the new float valves they can shut off quite hard which could trick the flow switch to fire! is it a torbeck, did you fit the flow ristricter? Just because next doors is fine means nothing, has he got a full service history for the boiler. if you can prove that the ther is a cold feed to the cistern then that should surfice, as he got you in to do the bathroom, not service the boiler!!

is it a toilet with an internal overflow? if it is just keep the inlet valve open and see if the water coming in gets hot or not

the flow restrictor was fitted which makes me think its the boiler

does the boiler fire up when using electric shower??

did you repipe the whole bathroom??

is it a toilet with an internal overflow? if it is just keep the inlet valve open and see if the water coming in gets hot or not

I'd do this even if it had an external overflow at least this would eliminate the boiler question, totally agree.

See if you can turn on a cold tap very slowly to replicate the fill valve, I dont fix boilers but does anyone know if a worn divertor will trigger the boiler if a cold is turned on a certain way?

Just thinking out loud really, also maybe crossflow? You've somehow tee'd the cold cistern feed into the hot aswell?

yes th whole bathroom was repiped.going back to job tmrw.what wlse can i do?
please help.

I seriously think you've mixed you hot and colds mixed up mate, you mentioned electric shower earlier in the thread, do the combi fire up when using it?

Before you walk into the customers house tomorrow morning, take a deep breath expect a bit of flack and calmly explain that you've come back to try and sort the issue and that being humpy isn't doing anyone any favours.

Then take your time and work through the suggestions here. When your getting annoyed, stop, take a step back and take your time. If the hot has been crossed with the cold explain how your going to sort it and job done.

IF it is a problem with the boiler explain this to the customer but again expect some flak, even if this isn't your doing (probably isn't) you know you'll get the blame so this will have to be discussed....

yes th whole bathroom was repiped.going back to job tmrw.what wlse can i do?
please help.

As per steveb hold down float valve and let it run, if it runs cold and stays cold your ok'ish. you could try and snap the taps closed to see if that dose the same! turn off the cold feed to the boiler under it, flush cistern if it fills, not on hot! if you can eliminate crossed pipe work it points to the boiler.

don't you hate days like that, the usual custard quote is "well it was fine before you started" usually followed by "never had a problem before you touched it" closely followed by "why did you get me in then if everything if s fine"

best of luck in the morning let us know how you get on!!

Have you tiled everything in?

Bath panel?

You say the basin is tiled in?

I mean, while fitting the bathroom you or someone must have noticed the toilet cistern was hot while you were there and before it was all tiled.

I'm confused....

Last edited:
"well it was fine before you started" is the most annoying empty logic going.

If the dog craps on the carpet after I've opened my toolbox is that my fault too?

If the dog craps on the carpet after I've opened my toolbox is that my fault too?

Yes, of course, if you hadn't opened your tool box you wouldn't have scared my dog and put it off its stride.

I can't even write this without laughing.

Probably it was your toolbox that scared him!! he was fine before you opened it!!

is it possible that the cwsc feeds the woman down stairs as she said she has no water in her bathroom now.since we renovated the guys bathroom.possibly another job to do.so i should hold syphon open to see if boiler fires up?

oh dear. you have my sympathies...

and yeah, hold inlet open. if cistern gets hot = your prob. if not = his prob.

Probably fairly easy to diagnose if you're in the bathroom, providing the customer isn't stood over you and not saying anything. I mean whats all that about.? I'm too polite to tell them to 'do one'

I had to tell a customer off recently though, I was there ages fiddling with a shower valve that another guy had not been able to put back together, she stood over over me with a right attitude. Talk about putting me off, she then had the cheek to say "if you couldn't fix it why didn't you say you could on the phone?" I lost my cool and told her I couldn't fix it while you were on my back. She went downstairs and 5 mins later I'd fixed it.

All I needed was some breathing room, unbelievable.

Whats this about a CWSC?

I thought it was a combi?

Must be a Friday night wind up..........you got me!! :seeya:

-Right, first thing we need to do is to make the system stable by letting off some of the pressure. A cup of tea's worth should do it. Would you mind?

the guy had asked us to remove the cwsc as it no longer was needed as we installed a mains fed electric shower.wish it was a wind up.this is totally stressing me out as the guy is going bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot water coming into cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock