Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Hot water issues Thermostatic bath shower mixer in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. DripsnDropsBognor

DripsnDropsBognor Member

Hi all,

Need a bit from friendly advice one plumber to another.

Got an issue with a charity property... they have been fudged over a few times by different people and I don't want to be one of "them".

I need to improve hot water flow on a Thermostatic mixer fed by a badly fitted pump.

1st quote in and accepted is feed from cylinder needs adapting so that it will not suck in air... I am going for the non-stop Surrey from the top before tee approved by all shower pump companies. Also fitting air vents in loft to throughly remove air after drain down.

2nd is where it gets confusing as this definitely needs to solve recurring issue they have.
    I have a feeling that the taps are getting abuse and are really expensive to replace AQUALISA th-bsm or cartridge is clogged full of spunk from the cruddy water we have here.
    What I have come up with is a 1/4 turn bsm with a TMV on existing pipe work.
    If I go with TMV it only has one orifice coming out so can I connect off this twice to feed BSM and will it affect the pump operation.

Any help appreciated

Adi

2. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

Can you be more specific about what this 'spunk' is? Is it on the hot or/and cold supplies. All taps? Biofilm, sediment, corrosion, etc. By 'cruddy' water, what do you mean? Is the supply from a well?

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Limescale

4. DripsnDropsBognor

DripsnDropsBognor Member

SoRoy chaps was being funny! Yeah limescale on both... being in south coast in our incredibly hard water... pump seems fine all fitted with filter nothing in there or on th-BSM filter but wondering if cartridge would scale up with micro bits getting past filtersix and building up from inside.

5. DripsnDropsBognor

DripsnDropsBognor Member

Am I correct in what to do with Thermostatic mixing valve feeding Bsm?

So swapping aqualisa for a standard Bsm without cartridge.

Can anyone think of any issues this will cause with shower pump operation?

The tank is around 1.5 metres above cylinder but set 5 meters back from cylinder and bath is 3 meters in front of cylinder.

6. Dkdc71

Dkdc71 New Member

How long is the aqualisa in ? They are great at first but after a few years they start giving problems like you are describing with clogging looks like that's your weak link try replacing the bsm . disconnect some pipework on live side of pump to check flow but I would say the bsm is it

7. Dkdc71

Dkdc71 New Member

Sorry meat to say correct the badly fitted pump also good luck with it

8. DripsnDropsBognor

DripsnDropsBognor Member

Cheers chap! Gunna fit flange and auto air vents pipe work fit anti gravity loop.
    And remove aqualisa and fit 1/4 turn bsm with TMV under bath :) hopefully fix everything in one go

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dkdc71

Dkdc71 New Member

Sorry meant to ask is badly fitted pump negative or positive head pump if your rising back up to loft and across to the bathroom you need negative head pump not auto air vents if I am picturing this right in my head best of luck with you.. In plumbing there are no problems. Only solution's lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. DripsnDropsBognor

DripsnDropsBognor Member

Grunfos one pretty it's regenerative but I am thinking along same lines...
    Tis a bungalow so not alot of height to give head and also cw storage is about 5 meters behind cylinder so alot of horizontal before any head

11. Dkdc71

Dkdc71 New Member

If its a negative head pump it should work I'm trying to visualize the job if the negative head pump is on the floor and once you can get water to it it will work horizontal run would not effect the head height

• Like Like x 1