Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss How difficult is it to remove this?! in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. BD1978

BD1978 New Member

Doing up the bathroom and discovered this boxed in. How easy is it to remove? Guessing it's the original waste water pipe system. It's an eye sore and takes up space. Is it a complex job to remove it and install a smaller neater alternative? pipe pic.jpeg

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

that's your main 100mm (4") drain cast iron even if you manage to remove the iron branch you will still have the same size but in modern plastic , is this on ground floor because that cast iron will go down to ground level, and will require special tool to cut into it not something for DIY I'm afraid

• Like Like x 1
  3. BD1978

BD1978 New Member

Thanks. It's on the first floor so from your guidance I guess it runs down through the house to a drain. Thanks for the info.

4. BD1978

BD1978 New Member

Would this pipe normally be on the outside of the house or is it common for them to run internally?

5. jtsplumbing

Yes it would, at sometime in the past its gone straight up through the roof it may be possible to install a new external soil system but that would be expensive

• Like Like x 1
  6. jtsplumbing

Common for inside especially on ex council property's

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

That is beautiful. Back from the days when plumbing was built to last. Wish my house had such a nice soil and vent pipe.

I bet the gasket on that inspection/rodding eye is a greased felt material, and I bet those bolts will still unscrew after all those years (if you use a ring spanner and some care). The wall of that cast-iron pipe is probably half an inch thick, deadens the sound of running water and will continue to give good service until it rusts through in another 5o years or so.

The plastic pipes inserted into it are probably a recent modification (defacement).

As others have said, if that is your bathroom, the pipe will be needed somewhere. You could put a new one in, but you can't do without one, assuming you want a flush toilet.

8. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

I would advise against it if your a diyer a pro could do it with the proper tools. Kop

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TMHM

TMHM Member

Love the screwed up paper and gaffa tape ;)

• Like Like x 1