Search the forum,

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pipe and fittings. Never use a brush because it puts too much on. A wipe with the finger or the end of the solder for half inch.
Never had a leak in 9153 days :smile:
I never use a brush either, I use a pencil or a bradawl to go round the end of the pipe then kind of use it to scrape off any excess. Never had a problem.

Like keefy I don't use a brush I use the solder, got told off for using my finger and got sick of buying brushes so thought feck it ill use the solder

I apply it just to the pipe and turn the fittings around on the pipe so it goes smoothly around everything,
The 2 blokes i work with both put it in the fitting and on the pipe, they teach at college NOT to put it in the fitting EVER,
not sure why!

I couldn't use my finger, my hands are bad enough as it is.
i also use everflux which stings like hell in cuts.

I apply it just to the pipe and turn the fittings around on the pipe so it goes smoothly around everything,
The 2 blokes i work with both put it in the fitting and on the pipe, they teach at college NOT to put it in the fitting EVER,
not sure why!
Because you're just pushing most of the flux off the inside of the fitting then it's likely to stay in the system - unless you flush it through obviously. If it's a gas pipe then you've got a snot of flux permanently stuck to the wall of the pipe.

Pipe only, use finger, wipe finger on old rag. Most modern fluxes are so aggresive that you can't leave any trace inside the pipe as it will gradually eat it's way out.

Pipe and fittings. Never use a brush because it puts too much on. A wipe with the finger or the end of the solder for half inch.
Never had a leak in 9153 days :smile:

That's an impressive record.

I do both pipe and fitting.

am I right in thinking all those who use the finger method are over 50 or dont have girlfriends!!!!!!!!!!! :)

or my hands and make them fall apart?

Glad it's not just me. Luckilly I've not been sweating many joints for the last couple of weeks and my hands are pretty respectable again.

I'm fine with less aggressive flux's anyway. I've bought a load of Powerflow as I was getting on with that, but they changed the recipe about 6 months back. The new stuff is whiter and less "greasy" looking. Not as good in my opinion. Doesn't turn yellow if you leave the lid off the tub so it's definetly changed.

am I right in thinking all those who use the finger method are over 50 or dont have girlfriends!!!!!!!!!!! :)

With a tub of flux on the bedside cabinet.

Disclaimer: Your imagination not mine.

Eh? What's the reason for this ?

It's to do with future work hardening and material sag over certain lengths of table x, can also lead to dezincification and pitting of brass further down the line if excess flux is pushed into pipe roughly 535mm (21") or longer.

It's to do with future work hardening and material sag over certain lengths of table x, can also lead to dezincification and pitting of brass further down the line if excess flux is pushed into pipe roughly 535mm (21") or longer.

orson-welles-applause.gif

yes thats why its tight but is laco suitable as a lubrcant or should i stick to templars? or is going in dry best?

Just the pipe for me; after it and the fitting have been thoroughly cleaned.......again the way I was taught !

Now read through the rest of the thread and realised we have somewhat diluted the original topic......:blush2:

Last edited by a moderator:
just the pipe normally with my finger havnt used a brush since i lost my last one about a year ago!

Just to clear up my comment about the 21" or longer was complete balls I just made it up, I think most people knew it was in jest.

I think you may have made a few apprentices recite that......I believed ya..:yesnod:

Just to clear up my comment about the 21" or longer was complete balls I just made it up, I think most people knew it was in jest.

I think you may have made a few apprentices recite that......I believed ya..:yesnod:

I just finished screaming at R.D. Treloar over the phone accusing him of leaving this vital information out of his book - PLUMBING 4th Edition, he called me a wacko. Thanks a lot TerryWaite! :32:

Oh, I asked him about fluxing and he said pipe only...

I was watching a young plumber yesterday. We get provided with powerflow flux on site (i prefer la-co)
Anyway this lad didn't flux pipe or fittings. He assembled all joints dry then brushed flux around the joints and then sweat them up.

Never seen or heard anyone doing it this way. He says its because the powerflow flux makes it difficult to assemble joints and twist them etc when the acid bites. I know what he means this is why i hate powerflow flux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock