Search the forum,

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried just fluxing just the pipe off the back of this thread and didn't like it. Pipe and fittings for me, small amount on each, gently heat and apply solder from the back/underneath the fitting and it leaves a nice neat ring of solder. Let the solder set and wipe with a damp cloth.

We all have our own methods and we'll all most likely never change them!

Hmmm, reply to the original question.

Its a pity that the flux manufacturers dont put a small brush connected to the underside of the lid of the flux tub anymore, isnt it?

I use an old toothbrush that I keep in my tool box and use that

Or I use my flat end screwdriver

Or I use my finger (btw my fingers always go green when I am handling copper pipe with or without touching the flux!!!!)

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

Both on hot, cold and heating. only fittings on gas....just one of those things

Only use everflux ..15mm-42mm only ever flux pipe ..always use a brush ..very rarely get a leak & always looks neat ;-)

if you flux the pipe only when you insert it in the fitting tecnically your fluxing the fitting too ????????

if you flux the pipe only when you insert it in the fitting tecnically your fluxing the fitting too ????????

Of course but any excess flux will be pushed out of the fitting and not into the pipe.

Like this 2013-03-23 14.26.21.jpg

Of course but any excess flux will be pushed out of the fitting and not into the pipe.
Depends what your soldering as well if central heating or hot and cold it can be flushed but if gas then apply little as poss and allso depends what flux you use ie aggressive or nonI which do u use

I love the fact that we had a debate on this very simple topic than ran into several pages, so I started this poll on a seperate thread. We're now into page number 8 and counting!

It's a simple question, but it's one that every plumber will have an opinion on.

I saw it today while at a mates house having lunch. Went searching for it. Wish I never. Also a concealed cistern which had no way of access. Sad hey

I saw it today while at a mates house having lunch. Went searching for it. Wish I never. Also a concealed cistern which had no way of access. Sad hey

Don't you love concealed cisterns with no access points? At least the original plumber was an optimist!!

Its amazing wat you find in peoples house I once found a flue on a room sealed boiler that was on an outside wall but the flue went vertical in to the loft then on a 45 down through the eaves and poped out didnt take a picture but wish I had there was no obstructions not sure why they didnt go straight out the wall strange

I found one installation, where the customer had installed his own boiler, and luckilly not been able to get it to work.

He's used self tappers to screw the old flue to the new boiler (a Biasi boiler - nice).

Anyway I Riddor'd that one. Don't do that very often.

I switched to powerflow today. Been doing a bit of soldering outside on a portable workbench at a job as soldering in a cupboard was a night mare.
Anyway I found that being outside (which is very cold in the snow), laco was burning off before I even took the chill out of the pipe. Power flow on the other hand was my saving grace. Think ill keep the laco in the shed with the other rubbish I don't use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinly with a brush on the pipe and fitting then give the pipe a bit of a twist in the fitting

"EVERFLUX" and steel wool and rub off anything that looks oxidised including my brains...And a good flux brush...Has anyone tried buying these brushes from shops they a total rip-off.

On the pipe with the solder and twist as you insert to the joint as many have said, if your posh use a brush :)

All the soldering I did today - I just fluxed the pipe and no fittings fluxed at all. I was using yorkshire fittings though.
Not turned the water back on yet as finishing off tomorrow :)
Wish me luck!

All the soldering I did today - I just fluxed the pipe and no fittings fluxed at all. I was using yorkshire fittings though.
Not turned the water back on yet as finishing off tomorrow :)
Wish me luck!

All the soldering you did???? I ended up doing your job on my way home....
A day on site then a bath and shower on way home:eek:....cheers for the referral im knackered now:)

Just flux on pipe but both pipe and fitting need to be cleaned with abrasive strip then push in and twist.

back to basics, surely the point is to use a small paint brush, clean the pipe and fitting with wire wool, i use the wire brushes to clean the fittings then apply a little flux, and the important point is to not use too much solder and to move the flame, ive seem fittings burnt black by too powerful a flame and the plumber not moving it to help the solder run around fully, im also old school and dont like to see solder snots hanging from the fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Full disclosure, I am an Electrician. One of my older clients has just had her fire capped off because it doesn't comply with today's regs and was told the regs are now retrospectively applied. This is the opposite of what I am used to. For example, if I do an electrical inspection and find a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I hope you are doing well. I have this 3.25mm lead-free grade 99c solder wire. I know that the good practice to bend the wire before soldering so you know exactly how much it is absorbed by the flux. I know too little isn't good and too much is as bad. I need to connect two 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators. He's laid fresh copper pipe, however around the joints they are all green which I believe is flux residue he hasn't cleaned up after soldering. Not the cleanest of jobs but I'm not too...
Replies
Views
R
Do I arrange new pipework to be fitted (downpipes and sink and washing machine waste pipes) before or after new render is applied?
Replies
Views
I'm at the stage of my shower replacement where I have a new shower head to screw into the wall pipes. I tried it, turned on the shower, and find there are light leaks. Obviously I need to fix this so I got some Blue plumbers tape. Trouble is, the pipe doesn't stick out enough to easily wrap the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock