Search the forum,

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same one as me by the sounds of it!

Wire wool can break up & leave small pieces of the metal on the pipe causing problems with the solder taking properly!!

Small strands of wool get left in the joint, over time these corrode and you get leaks..........simples :)
Or have you too much experience ?

been using wirewool for more than 30years, never had any issues, but its nice to see you have, i check my pipe before i insert it into the fitting.

been using wirewool for more than 30years, never had any issues, but its nice to see you have, i check my pipe before i insert it into the fitting.

You mean you have never noticed any issues. As well as the potential for leaving contaminants on the pipe if you use it near sanitary ware it can leave rust marks after a few hours.

Am I reading this correctly?

you use wire wool instead of a flux brush to apply flux? Or am I mis-reading this :)

sounds like you have made a lot of mistakes in your time, rust marks on sanitary ware? my advise is to take more care m8!

sounds like you have made a lot of mistakes in your time, rust marks on sanitary ware? my advise is to take more care m8!

The only people I have ever met who reckon they have never made a mistake have been liars. I expect your one of those plumbers that has never had a leak as well.

Where do you get the lots of mistakes bit anyway? I've got rust marks on a bath once in 32 years and that is lots of mistakes? By the way I object to being called mate by someone as sanctimonious as you.

P.S. Do you want to buy a shift key?

it would be nice if before making a comment about a reply to thread that you check out the previous comments and catch up 1st, otherwise you have no idea whats going on and your looking for a free history lesson which i dont have time for

ok ive never had a leak before lol, i can turn water in wine, float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, take it easy and wind your neck in, if you dont like wire wool because you damaged a bath before thats ok, but im sure im not the only old school plumber that still uses it.

What's happened to this forum. There's always some random causing trouble with the regulars.

I say live and let live. I use emery cloth now, before that I used those expensive abrasive strips (the square mesh ones) and before that, many moons back, I used wire wool. With no problems. Just like thousands of other plumbers did or do.

I personally want to think that I'll never be too set in my ways to listen to advise....but I personally think live and let live.

I use steel wool from time to time and much prefer it to strips or sandpaper or fittings brushes or whatever. Everybody to there own thing. Much like 170 posts on how to flux a pipe. It is irrelevant.

I disagree, it's totally relevant. It doesn't get much more 'grass roots' than how you sweat a joint.

Which is why it is irrelevant Danny. Anyone doing this for a living doesn't need told how to do the basics. Everyone will do it their own way.

Which is why it is irrelevant Danny. Anyone doing this for a living doesn't need told how to do the basics. Everyone will do it their own way.

Isnt it time we had another "how many wraps of ptfe do you use" thread?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock