Search the forum,

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt it time we had another "how many wraps of ptfe do you use" thread?!
16 never had a leak.

Everyone will do it the way that works best for them.

I've always fluxed both and Yorkshire fittings will back me up with that as that is what they recommend.

Last one i bought last year was about a fiver for a wee tin. Use it if you want really neat joints.

Never tried it, what's it like, I mean is it similar to LA-CO or is it white like... like that other one, forgot what it's called lol.

Last one i bought last year was about a fiver for a wee tin. Use it if you want really neat joints.

But how and why does it give neat joints? Never heard of it or seen it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's brown and has the consistency of grease or Vaseline and indeed it is called Yorkshire flux.
It's still available and widely used for soldering electronic components.

I think its none cleaning, the fittings and pipe have to be rubbed bright and the exact correct amount of heat applied, doesnt snot like the self cleaning flux la-co etc

I use steel wool from time to time and much prefer it to strips or sandpaper or fittings brushes or whatever. Everybody to there own thing. Much like 170 posts on how to flux a pipe. It is irrelevant.
How dare you..........

Think I'll give it a try some time. Here it is on Yorkshire's own site for anyone interested: Pegler Yorkshire

Its greeny brown colour. Not self cleaning so your fittings and pipe need to be spotless. The solder only runs where it is cleaned. Fry's fluxite and telux are similar. Smells lovely but nips worse than everflux in a cut. It has zinc chloride in it.
Btw you can make your own flux if you can be bothered. Throw a bit zinc in some spirits of salt and let it dissolve.

Its greeny brown colour. Not self cleaning so your fittings and pipe need to be spotless. The solder only runs where it is cleaned.
I always make sure my pipe and fittings are spotless before applying anyway so I'd hardly be having to change my habits, can't stand seeing people just fluxing a dirty pipe 'because the flux will clean it'. Does sound good this Yorkshire flux though.

Back in the day my tradesman used it for lubricating the o rings of soil pipe. How times have changed!

It used to come in wee tins like the ones used for Kiwi shoe polish didn't it?

I went out to the shed and here are 2 different traditional ones for those who have never seen it. Frys and Telux both much the same as is Yorkshire.
I even sparked up the lamp for a wee sniff of the nostalgia Danny :smile:
015.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg 022.jpg

I've a tub of telux in the van i'm sure of it. Unfortunately I'm in Ireland with a pint of Guinness in m hand so can't check :)

Blimey Tamz those tins look older than me! Looks like great stuff tho. I'm getting some!

200+ posts in a thread about flux and I'm still finding it interesting.

Blimey Tamz those tins look older than me! Looks like great stuff tho. I'm getting some!

They are about 2-3 years old. Just been sitting in the shed so the tins are a bit rusty around the edges.
There is a small tin of yorkshire in the other van.
I only ever use it for top quality work when the price justifys it, where the joints need to be really neat. It takes too long to use cleaning fittings for everyday use.
No matter how good you are with self cleaning fluxes it is impossible to have complete control over how the solder will run and just when you don't want it you will get a streak of solder running down the pipe following the flux and you can't stop it.

They are about 2-3 years old. Just been sitting in the shed so the tins are a bit rusty around the edges.
There is a small tin of yorkshire in the other van.
I only ever use it for top quality work when the price justifys it, where the joints need to be really neat. It takes too long to use cleaning fittings for everyday use.
No matter how good you are with self cleaning fluxes it is impossible to have complete control over how the solder will run and just when you don't want it you will get a streak of solder running down the pipe following the flux and you can't stop it.
You've just proved there is so much more to this than meets the eye. I'd say you have shot yourself in the foot but I'm not that brave.:20:

I've never tried traditional flux but I'm going to have to give it a go now

I rub up every fitting and pipe end i solder, even straight out of the bag. Am I wasting my time if I'm using self cleaning flux? Maybe I should start using Yorkshire

I rub up every fitting and pipe end i solder, even straight out of the bag. Am I wasting my time if I'm using self cleaning flux? Maybe I should start using Yorkshire

Massively. You are costing yourself an hour a day at least on an install.
You don't need to clean anything with most modern fluxes but i still do if it is the really black old pipes. No need for steel wool or pads tho. A smeat of flux a quick heat with the bottle and wipe and it is shining like a shilling.

Use traditional and your joints will look much better.

Massively. You are costing yourself an hour a day at least on an install.
You don't need to clean anything with most modern fluxes but i still do if it is the really black old pipes. No need for steel wool or pads tho. A smeat of flux a quick heat with the bottle and wipe and it is shining like a shilling.

Use traditional and your joints will look much better.

Well blow me down. I'm not sure ill be able to kick the habit of cleaning though. Have to get the pipe spotless, get rid of all slice marks etc. it's compulsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock