Search the forum,

Discuss How long will this pump last in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Gary80gas

Gas Engineer
I opened up a heating pump today. Jammed in a screwdriver and stopped it spinning without too much pressure. I know its not a good sign it should have tossed the screwdriver back at me. Its still circulating heating for a 10 rad system, what's happening inside pump and how long do you think its got?

How long is a piece of string is the honest answer mate. I have recommended new pumps when they have been like that and they have lasted another 2 years. Some 6 months.

I opened up a heating pump today. Jammed in a screwdriver and stopped it spinning without too much pressure. I know its not a good sign it should have tossed the screwdriver back at me. Its still circulating heating for a 10 rad system, what's happening inside pump and how long do you think its got?

You will easily stop any domestic Circulator if you do that!!
They are only a small single phase motor.
What were you doing that for?

You will easily stop any domestic Circulator if you do that!!
They are only a small single phase motor.
What were you doing that for?

Grundfos approved method of testing shouldn't stop but slow with pressure

Grundfos approved method of testing shouldn't stop but slow with pressure
Well It's a daft way of telling someone to test anything in my opinion Shaun. Grundfos or not.
Just off the nature of the beast, any small single phase motor like those will stop if you apply enough pressure. It's only a magnetic field that gives the rotation. I suppose if you teach people exactly how much pressure in foot pounds or newton meters it should overcome at various speeds then ok but using a tool by hand will depend on how strong or heavy handed you are and where you jam the tool.

Sounds like Grundfos need to be a bit more Scientific lol.
I've never heard of this method in all my days.

Is this something they are teaching on courses now then??

Thanks Shaun that's what ive been led to believe. You put a screwdriver with a bit of pressure on a good pump and it kicks the end of the driver around, no slowing and definitely not grinding to a halt. That's what a good pump should do.
I just don't understand the mechanics of a pump becoming weaker. There were some strange loud reported noises from the pump cupboard but the pump was quiet when I looked. Sounded like the motorised valve was slipping lots of repetitive whirring before stopping after a minute. So i'm going to change the valve and pump otherwise ill get a call on xmas eve.

Reply to How long will this pump last in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock