Search the forum,

Discuss How much more expensive would it be for duty and standby boilers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
As in the above question really. A forum member recently asked if we should be fitting duty and standby for vulnerable customers.

What I'd like to ask is what costs would this add to the job. Is it a case of extra boiler cost plus a couple of extra pipes (say £1000 in typical domestic setting) or does the cost of flue, controls and significant extra plumbing mean it would be a VERY expensive option?

Also, is it likely that the spare boiler would essentially remain as new until the old one breaks down, or would a twin boiler installation have a similar lifespan to a single boiler installation?

I thought it was an interesting point of discussion worthy of a separate thread...

There's no point having a boiler standing idle.
The first time you need it , it probably won't work.
You'd need to run Duty and Standby and changeover regularly.

As in the previous post it's space that's the problem in Domestics.
You'd need to have boiler failure alert and rely on the customer doing something about it, in case the second boiler fails.

Vunerable customers just need to have a reliable maintenance contract.

I only do Commercial and we have plenty of multiboiler setups.
Most of them are driven by hours run, so the boiler with the lowest hours runs next.
If it's just 2 boilers they alternate daily.

Agree with Snowhead. There are a number of solutions to how the boilers are run but most involve using both boilers regularly, they could be run together if they are say 1/2 sized or sequenced if able to cope with the load. I would say without a plant room these are extra bits that will give the vast majority of homes a problem with space and cost.
1. Generally 2 boilers cost more than one for the same size.
2. You need a minimum space between flue outlets, 1000mm for a small boiler or thereabouts.
3. Many installs need a low loss header.
4. Many installs are zoned for good reasons so need valves and pumps

When you add in all the other stuff for a sealed system i think you are looking at an area of 4M wide floor too ceiling. Not including cylinder if its in the same area.
The install cost is probably double and maybe more than depending on complexity.

For the vast majority of domestic, they struggle to find room for one boiler. The number of homes that are large enough to accommodate 2 boilers are few and far and unlikely to be lived in by the vulnerable.

Solution for worried domestic : By a good quality boiler, have it install professionally to MIs, then service annually before October, if it fails, use immersion for hot water or kettle if a combi, use fan heaters for bedroom before going too bed and living area for comfort.
Most boilers parts for the main manufacturers of current boilers are available next day or off the shelf, heating engineers are not un-sympathetic and do understand what cold feels like.
e.g. I received a call (not domestic) at 2pm, arrived at 4pm, diagnosed as failed PCB, ordered at 4:30pm, part arrived by 8:00am next day, boiler up and running at 11:30am. Total time down from original calls was less than 24hrs.

If you want to go down that route better option would be to buy a spare boiler and use it for spares when the first one breaks down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much more expensive would it be for duty and standby boilers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
So I've got a Glow Worm back boiler fronted by a gas fire, at least 15 years old probably a lot more. The water heating makes a row as there is a partial blockage in one of the pipes - this I believe to be resolvable with a power flush and pump replacement. The front fire is spilling fumes and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock