Search the forum,

Discuss How to balance water pressure in taps in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Gas combi Boiler
Mains fed in all taps and shower

How do I balance the water pressure in all faucets in my flat. Every tap/water faucet is mains fed but the cold water is really strong in every tap that if I open the tap fully it flies out like a fountain but the hot water is not as much.

Can a PRV help in these situations as I want equal pressure in taps and if it is a PRV I need then where should it be placed thanks.

I'm not a plumber - yet.

PRV (Pressure Relieving Valve) by the design is an emergency feature - once the line pressure reaches/exceeds a certain value, it just temporarily opens up and relieves the pipe, tank, etc.

The simplest solution under the ..sink is to use the isolation valves - ensure that the hot has full bore valve (e.g. Made4Trade Full Bore Isolating Valve CP - https://www.toolstation.com/made4trade-full-bore-isolating-valve-cp/p77164 - leave it fully open, but on the cold pipe - just block the flow by slightly closing the valve.

The only problem with my idea is that it will be noisy: you will hear restricted flow.

Before you head straight on to Toolstation - google also: Flow Control Valves (FCV) e.g: https://www.robertpearson.co.uk/robertpearson/images/2019/inlineflow/rp-iso_v2.pdf

Marcin whilst your understanding of a pressure relief valve is very good - you have fallen into the trap created by PRV also refers to a Pressure Reducing Valve !
Yes I know this is an annoying situation, but somehow it’s where we ended up. You can often guess which one someone means from the context- but it’s worth confirming this before you turn up to a job with wrong one.

BobbyJoe the pressure reducing valve should normally be fitted where the mains enters your property so that it affects all outlets equally - then you only need the one prv.

However depending upon the actual mains pressure and flow rate that you have, your problem may be better solved with individual flow control valves fitted in the cold feed pipework to each tap (such as those suggested by Marcin above).

Get a plumber in to assess the situation.

Reply to How to balance water pressure in taps in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock