Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Icos Boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

archie-noah

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Ideal Icos HE18 Boiler. Went to put my heating on yesterday and nothing is happening. Status on display shows 0. I have a Digistat SCR control with a Digistat RF1 temp control. These controls seem to be working fine as when i turn up the thermostat to heat the SCR control lights up green to turn heating on. What is confusing me is my hot water seems to be working fine. I turn it on to heat and the Boiler fires up and works perfectly fine. I just do not understand why it is not coming on for the heating! Boiler just shows 0 status and makes no sound at all.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards
Scott

Probably an external controls fault.
Check the green light is coming on on the digistat reciever. If not then press button 2 - to override. If it works then, put new batteries in the RF1 and recommision it.

Thanks for responce.

The SCR seems to be working ok. When i turn up the thermostat the green light does come on to say heating on. When i turn temp down green light goes off so it does seem to be working. I put differnt batteries in the RF1 and re sync with the SCR. I have just gone upsairs and set my digital controls(Honeywell) to heating continueous, turned up the RF1 to full temp and the red light on the SCR flickered a few times then went on to green light - heating on. I have gone into the garage and the Boiler is still doing nothing and showing 0 status.

Have you any other thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks
Scott

If the boiler is coming on for hot water and the RF1 seems to be working it will be a motorised valve. Check it is opening when turned on for heating (the small lever on the same side as the wire will become loose). If it remains closed open it manually and turn your hot water on as a temporary measure then get someone to change the valve or the motor.

Where is the motorized valve located? Im a novice when it comes to boiler problems.

Where is the motorized valve located?

What is the price of bread? Your guess is as good as mine. They could be anywhere but usually beside the pump. Look near the hot water cylinder.
Look for 2 of these
honeywell.jpeg

They may have a plastic cover instead of metal depending on the make. The lever to open it manually is just below the black cable. Move it to the side and lock it in position.

Or you may have one of these
motorised-valve-3-way-val322mp.jpg

You can still lock this to the open position.

Do you mean the Grundfos pump which is located in the airing cuboard. I took the screw from the middle and turned the little screw hole inside and that seemed ok?

Will go and check them out. really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Scott

All i can find is a Drayton Mid potition Actuator?? Has this device replaced the motorized valves you mentioned.

Regards
Scott

That's the same thing mate and will work in hot water if the motor has packed up. You need to move it over to manual by pushing the black lever and locking it in position by pushing it down I think. This should bring both on, but sounds like the motorised head will need replacing.

You were right. Set the pump to manual, then turned both heating and water on and it is now working. Will i need to replace the whole unit or just a motor. Is it a easy enough job to do and could you tell me how to do it - or should i get someone in to do it.

Once again many thanks, you have been a great help.
Scott

Thank you Tamz and arran for your help. It is the actulator that is the problem. Im off out now to get a new 1.

Once again many thanks.

Nightmare!!

Purchased an Actuator today and replaced the old one which i thought was faulty with the new one. Tryed the heating and still nothing! Im gutted!

Re-cap:
New batteries in RF1
SCR looks if it is working as green light comes on when asked.
New Actuator
Water Pump working ok
Hot water working ok
Status on boiler showing 0

Any other thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks
Scott

You will need to test it electricaly to understand what is happening when you switch things on. \Preferably use a multimeter but it can also be checked with one of those ten bob neon screwdrivers.
If you feel capable enough, follow this link for a Y plan. It clearly shows the flow of power and where it should go and what should happen if when different things switch on and off.
Honeywell Y-Plan Explanation
Find out the point that does not do as it should and post back.

As far as the drawings are concerned, just treat the RF1 as being a std room thermostat

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a check and it looks like im recieving no live signal from the boiler. What fault could i have with the boiler?

Regards
Scott

You won't get a live signal from the boiler, the mid position valve sent the switched live to the boiler. Have you tried the valve in manual again? Did you make sure you wired the new one up as it was before?

Just started it up in manual and the central heating is coming on. Double checked the wiring and it is wired up as before. The only thing i think it could be is the scr unit even though it lights up green when i turn the rf1 up. Its as though it is not sending the signal for heating to come on?

So is it a wireless system you have for the heating control? There will be a receiver somewhere, you will need to check the signal is communicating with everything. But I have to say, the only experience I have with wireless is a Honeywell where this happened and a Baxi where the batteries died and I had to re-sync as a result.

Just checked and when i turn the thermostat up, even though the green light comes on the scr to signal the heating to start there is no live being trasmitted to the Actuator from the scr.

Many Thanks again for your help. I have learned alot about my heating system even though im a novice. I just like to try and get things sorted myself - browny points off the misses:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Icos Boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock