Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal icos leaking from sump plate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi

Went to look at an icos tonight, all working fine but leaking from the sump plate.

Codense run internal, probably 4m long. Joined to the kitchen waste.

I cut the condense under the sink and it jetted out and was black and warm.

Cleared blockage, reconnected. Checked trap all clear, removed sump cover. A layer of sludge inside but clear at condense drain.

Boiler has never been serviced in 8 years.

Refitted plate. Made sure all was dry inside case, turned back on. Cust has text to say its still leaking. There's no way the condense is still blocked and backing up.

Sealed system and pressure is OK.

What else should I check? Possibly just the sump plate seal?

I doubt if its leaking from the plate, the traps can be tricky on them ,is the trap spotless pal , the crud rests in the bottom and looks like part of the trap . Try blow back from the boiler to the sink

Trap was clear and hole was clear. I'm going back today to have another look. Going to blow through the condense, one I know it's all clear, I'm going to leave the sump cover off and see if anything appears without the boiler running. If it doesnt I will run it and see where it's coming from.
Thanks, will update.

If it's the heat exchanger, does anyone know a rough price and how long would you allow to change it?

Or just recommend new boiler?

Trap was clear and hole was clear. I'm going back today to have another look. Going to blow through the condense, one I know it's all clear, I'm going to leave the sump cover off and see if anything appears without the boiler running. If it doesnt I will run it and see where it's coming from.
Thanks, will update.

If it's the heat exchanger, does anyone know a rough price and how long would you allow to change it?

Or just recommend new boiler?
Will be surprised if it isn’t the heat ex and better off putting a new boiler in mate

Thanks, on my way now.

Would it be a case of removing sump cover once drained from trap and seeing water collect from hex to confirm?

Make sure the trap is completely clear. They have about 2mm clearance and any crap in there at all and they back up.

Went back,

Trap was completely clear, pipe was clear. Water appearing inside casing from under sump.

Inside the sump loads of sludge/scale can only assume it's pinholed and when the condense builds up its getting through. I did say last night there may be some residual water still inside the casing that I couldn't reach to dry that may drip out but it was more than that. I dried it up again and fired it up and said I can pop back in an hour or 2 after my other jobs to have another look. Cust said not to worry, just wants quote for a new boiler.

Sealed system
Big unvented cylinder
S plan

He wants a quote for a worcester and a quote for a cheap boiler.

If I was to fit an RI in its place on a sealed system is there anything I need to do different to a normal boiler swap with an f and e?

Also I would need to run a cable from airing cupboard to boiler for the pump. Horrible chipboard flooring, worst part of the job by the looks of it.

Thanks

Steal a live from the timer for the pump live and find it in the 10 way in the airing cupboard for the pump. Then fit the timer in the airing cupboard with new wiring and use a blanking plate where the old timer was. Job done.

Perfect. Thanks.

Would an RI not be ok then? Looking at the manual, should be compatible.

Just saying why fit a new pump in the airing cupboard and run a new cable if you can find an equivalent Worcester boiler with the pump inside. Has the Icos that is fitted got the pump inside?

I did look at the system boiler you recommended and saw the pump was inside. The pump is currently in the airing cupboard.

Would it be a lot of work to alter things to put the system boiler in instead? I would rather do that if I can.

I did look at the system boiler you recommended and saw the pump was inside. The pump is currently in the airing cupboard.

Would it be a lot of work to alter things to put the system boiler in instead? I would rather do that if I can.
I would leave it as it is, the only reason I questioned it was because you said you had to fit a pump in the airing cupboard and run a cable. So why do you need to run a cable? It should all already be at the boiler?

cap the f&e and fit a filling loop and prv pipe job done

I would leave it as it is, the only reason I questioned it was because you said you had to fit a pump in the airing cupboard and run a cable. So why do you need to run a cable? It should all already be at the boiler?

Sorry perhaps I worded it wrong, Pump is in the airing cupboard wired to wiring centre, not currently wired to the boiler.

Customer is away on holiday for 2 weeks from today so will have a quote sorted for when they get back.

Sorry perhaps I worded it wrong, Pump is in the airing cupboard wired to wiring centre, not currently wired to the boiler.

Customer is away on holiday for 2 weeks from today so will have a quote sorted for when they get back.
No worries. I would do what I said earlier then mate and steal a live from the timer and put the timer in the A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal icos leaking from sump plate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock