Search the forum,

Discuss identification of valve/ fitting prior to smart meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo attached of valve / fitting I,m trying to identify
i live in a second floor apartment cold supply if from a basement water tank pressurised by pumps
the cold water supply enters our property (22mm copper) and immediately after the main stop tap is the fitting I am trying to identify and understand what it does
the cold supply passes through this fitting into the smart meter, then out through the meter back into this fitting and into the apartment supply
prior to this fitting I,m trying to identify the cold supply also continues into the apartment supply

its as if this valve / fitting is a bypass arrangement so if the meter is removed the mains supply can continue?
this valve /fitting has a banjo type centre piece connection so it can be adjusted for different angles for ease of connection
this banjo centre which has a rubber gasket at each end is leaking slightly and I could tighten it and hopefully cure the problem but concerned that being ten years old the gaskets may be perished and the leak get worse leaving me an urgent problem finding a replacement
i don,t know if it's relevant but our hot water cylinder is pressurised by the mains cold water with an expansion vessel
the fitting/valve in question in the photo is the one with the bottom earth cable attached next to the white smart meter
could somebody identify this valve / fitting and explain what it does,do I have to have it? can I remove it and piece it through? is it easy to get a replacement?
appreciate any help

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 59
Is the water billed by the building management company or the local water company from this meter or is this your own meter?

If it's not yours then I don't believe it's your problem to sort out.

The water supply comes in from above?

It is all part of the smart water meter,
It will either divert all the water through the meter (turn off stop valve & see if it stops) or just a small amount so the meter measures by proportionate amount.
Either way meters are normally the supplies responsibility as said, plead ignorance & call them in.

thanks Chris for info I will contact my water company to see if they will resolve the problem, nice to understand what the fitting is and does I am a plumber (apprentice back in the 1960/70s) but been off the tools for many years and out of date with modern plumbing- cheers

thanks Chris for info I will contact my water company to see if they will resolve the problem, nice to understand what the fitting is and does I am a plumber (apprentice back in the 1960/70s) but been off the tools for many years and out of date with modern plumbing- cheers

Never to old (or young) to learn, once a Plumber always Plumber, I say.
I din't know about these fitting either so thanks for you for asking & to snowhead for telling.

Take care silhillron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to identification of valve/ fitting prior to smart meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am having an on-going battle with my energy supplier trying to get a smart gas meter. I have a Landis &gyr installed which was a replacement for a faulty meter about 3 years ago. The installer at the time told me it was not a Smart meter. The energy company is insisting its a SMETS1 -...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock