Search the forum,

Discuss Ikea sink plumbing questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bodger

I recently put in two new kitchens (it's a long story), and in both cases time and money dictated choosing Ikea, including the plumbing - something which I am now coming to regret!

I have two questions for anyone who has tackled (and beaten) the Ikea sink plumbing system:

1) The 'Atlant' sink waste system - those ridiculous sink plugs!

The first of these I installed came with the older type of plug, which NEVER sealed properly and drove Mrs Bodger mental. The second came with the newer version (the rubber/plastic bits that stick out underneath are slim and 'toothed', rather than shaped like teats), which (mostly) works, if you take the time to seat it properly.

I therefore bought a set of the new plugs for the older sink, assuming that this would solve my problem - but the bloody things still let the water out!! As far as I can tell, both Atlant waste system I used are identical, so I can't fathom why these plugs work in one sink and not the other.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Or suggest an alternate make of plug which will fit (and work!)?

2) Edsvik mixer tap

This gives a very low flow of hot water. I have checked (and swapped) the valves and they appear to be OK, and I have checked the flow of water before it gets to the tap, and this is OK too. We live in a flat, so the hot water pressure in the kitchen isn't as high as it would be in a house, but it should still give a much greater flow than it does (the supply is fine in the bathroom, where the pressure is the same).

The first of these taps that I installed works fine, but that was abroad and the hot water there is at higher pressure (a 'geyser' type boiler). Also I suspect that that tap, although it has the same name, might be an older model and different internally.

The tap that is giving the problem appears to have a separate CENTRAL internal channel (which is connected to the hot supply), which has a much lower cross section than the chamber surrounding it (as opposed to a tap divided down the middle to give equal chambers). Had I known this before installation, I would have connected the cold supply to the central channel - although I am not convinced this would have been correct either, as I would have ended up with a very high pressure jet of cold water coming out of the middle of the tap, and mixing would have been interesting! - but the instruction leaflet gave no indication as to how the hot and cold should be connected.

Has anyone else had this problem - and solved it?

I could, in theory, simply swap the hot and cold feeds, but unfortunately I had to cut these to different lengths to connect them to the supply because of space restrictions, so swapping them would be a bit of a job. Also, I may be able to remove the tap and swap the inlet pipes supplied with the tap (these screw into the base of the tap), but, as the base of the tap is not reversible, this might be more of a problem than a solution.

And, as I've said above, I'm not altogether sure that fitting the much higher pressure cold supply to the narrow central chamber is a good idea anyway.

Any thoughts on all this would be welcome.

Cheers.

PS - Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I'm a newbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly their is nothing wrong with Ikea kitchens

Just three things to remember

1,no space at rear of units for pipework

2.Kitchen sinks,I have one,nice stainless sink,good price,but sink waste,not uk standard and rubbish,throw away,fit macalpin basket wates with double bowl waste kit

3.All taps very high pressure,prices the same as elsewere and buy elsewere,I like bristan kitchen sink taps,just a preferance

Last edited by a moderator:
If your hot water is fed by gravity that's your problem - the taps are desinged for high pressure supply (such as a combi boiler or mains fed unvented cylinder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ikea sink plumbing questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock