Search the forum,

Discuss Ikea Water Trap Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I installed an Ikea two-bowl water trap yesterday. The trouble is one of the connections has a very slight leak on it (was dripping yesterday slightly and damp today). Question is - does anyone know if I can use solvent weld/ptfe/paste on this to seal it or should I just get a replacement from Ikea?

In the illustration it is where you 'click' the second part in place on the first trap.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1641.PNG

Personally I think you should get a replacement.

You may be able to seal it with PTFE but I wouldn't try anything that would prevent you from returning it !

Good point, I just presumed it was there but it could have fallen out !
As it is a slow leak / weep rather than a full blown leak I guess the seal could be damaged, inspect it closely for any "nicks" or signs of damage, doubt if PTFE tape or solvent weld will work though.

Edited since photos added.

Remove the O ring seal.
Wrap a couple of turns of PTFE around the groove where the seal fits
Refit seal and click.

Firstly I would take it back to the shop if you can however that could mean a long wait for a replacement so try a smear of LSX leak sealant around the outside of the Blue ring with all faces nice and dry. Can be found in B&Q.

Thanks all. PTFE tape seems to have done he job. Will keep that sealant in mind too RPM. The nearest Ikea to me is about 40 miles so would have been a pain. Seems to hold up now!! Thanks so much. Epic forum! :)

Firstly I would take it back to the shop if you can however that could mean a long wait for a replacement so try a smear of LSX leak sealant around the outside of the Blue ring with all faces nice and dry. Can be found in B&Q.
Does LSX help at all ? Never used that stuff and always wondered if this product helps. If so where do you use it?

I rate it Ron, use it where pipe connection are old or have been bodged before.

I wouldn't fit the Ikea wastes. Don't marry up very well with the mcalpine etc. One of my customers bought their own sink, tap etc. I said I wouldn't fit the Ikea trap so many extra fittings to connect to our 40mm pipework, so many opportunities for a potential leak. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ikea Water Trap Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock