Search the forum,

Discuss I'm not old enough to know about this bath waste branch. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
There I am getting my bathroom replaced, when I find out just why my old bath was set so high off the floor. The branch to the soil stack stands about a foot off the ground.

It has the feel of lead, but on scratching with a key it has the hardness of iron. The house was built in the 60s, if that helps any.

I'm going to need to bring this waste branch down a peg, for want of a better description, and connect modern fittings to it, but I wouldn't even be able to begin with naming/describing it, let alone finding a solution. Can anybody help?

http://i.*********/GWm78P4.jpg

Last edited:
Now it's working. Looks like galvanised low carbon steel (ie mild steel) aka iron (not cast iron). A magnet will prove if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
If the size is vaguely similar to modern pipe, a compression waste fitting should allow you to connect to iron.

Now it's working. Looks like galvanised low carbon steel (ie mild steel). A magnet will prove if I'm wrong.

A magnet sticks to it, so I presume you're not wrong.

This thing is far too high, and looks like it came out of the Ark.

Is there some way I can chop it back to the floorboard and add some kind of adaptor for a modern fitting? I am at a loss as to why something so chunky was used for a bath outlet.

One of these should do. Or you can get a coupler that is solvent weld on one side and compression on the other. Check the dimension compared with modern waste pipe, but remember compression fittings on waste are semi-universal so as long as the pipe is round, and roughly the right size, they work.

Cut it with a hacksaw/junior hacksaw. Have fun!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...aste-straight-coupler-white-40mm-x-40mm/11980

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-wf07-flexi-waste-straight-coupling-grey-30-38mm-x/29220

Looks like galvanised iron. Try a magnet on it, if the magnet is attracted to the pipe work, then its steel.

What is the outside diameter of the pipework going into the floor? If the outside diameter is 48.3mm it probably 1 1/2" pipe, if the OD is 60.3 its probably 2" pipe. You can probably use a Philmac coupling elbow to convert to a normal metric size. You'd have to cut off the vertical steel pipe work as low as possible consistent with getting the coupling on, clear of the steel elbow which goes to the right under the floor. Make sure the cut is straight, de-burred and chamfered inside and out. Then for the horizontal run use appropriate sized plastic piping to the bath waste. It would probably be better to remove another couple of floorboards, cut the pipe in its under-floor horizontal run and proceed from there.

Looks like galvanised iron. Try a magnet on it, if the magnet is attracted to the pipe work, then its steel.

What is the outside diameter of the pipework going into the floor? If the outside diameter is 48.3mm it probably 1 1/2" pipe, if the OD is 60.3 its probably 2" pipe. You can probably use a Philmac coupling elbow to convert to a normal metric size. You'd have to cut off the vertical steel pipe work as low as possible consistent with getting the coupling on, clear of the steel elbow which goes to the right under the floor. Make sure the cut is straight, de-burred and chamfered inside and out. Then for the horizontal run use appropriate sized plastic piping to the bath waste. It would probably be better to remove another couple of floorboards, cut the pipe in its under-floor horizontal run and proceed from there.

I don't have a caliper on hand to check precisely, but eyeballing it on a tape (it's slightly tapered at the plug with the square nut on top), it seems to be about 2 and a quarter inches, which would be 57.15mm in metric. 60.3 thus sounds like it might be about right.

I think you're possibly right about cutting it back to the other side of the elbow though!

Out of interest, just what the hell is this monster? Seems like overkill for a bath outlet, and I'm actually wondering if it might have been a bit ancient even for the 60s? My bathroom fitter (in his early 30s) claims never to have seen one before.

Just checked some 2" nominal (50/55mm) ABS waste and it's 2.2" O/D, so I think you might get away with something like this:

Hunter straight compression coupler 50mm White | Plumb Center

or this:

Flexible 50mm 2" 65mm Rubber Waste Adapter Coupler for Plastic ABS or Copper with Jubilee Clips: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Probably best to take an offcut of that pipe to a merchants and say 'I need to connect to this...'

2" pipe on waste would generally be used where the run is shared by various appliances, or where the pipe run is quite long (over 3m).

That's iron heating pipe, custom fabricated by a heating engineer, probably for his own house.
60's would have been copper or plastic waste.

Where does this pipe go to/terminate, internal/external stack or jointed to plastic or copper under the boards? Could you not just rip it out and start again with all new waste pipe with a shallow trap for your new bath so you know its all sound?

Where does this pipe go to/terminate, internal/external stack or jointed to plastic or copper under the boards? Could you not just rip it out and start again with all new waste pipe with a shallow trap for your new bath so you know its all sound?

Oh, it's just a 1.5 meter run under the floorboards perpendicular to a cast iron internal soil stack in an upstairs bathroom running down past the downstairs toilet. I ~was~ considering moving the toilet and bath around, but then I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of tearing the front of the house off :D

That's iron heating pipe, custom fabricated by a heating engineer, probably for his own house.
60's would have been copper or plastic waste.
Or in this house, which I believe was built by the council originally, it's possibly just what they had left on the back of the van :D

Oh, it's just a 1.5 meter run under the floorboards perpendicular to a cast iron internal soil stack in an upstairs bathroom running down past the downstairs toilet. I ~was~ considering moving the toilet and bath around, but then I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of tearing the front of the house off :D

Just a 5 minute job then eh!:rolleyes::D

Wish my house were plumbed in decent materials like that! I'm sure I'd save time that I currently waste correcting previous owners' works.

Ah.
High spec Council job then, from the good old days.
If they'd known about Right to Buy they wouldn't have spent so much on them..

Ah.
High spec Council job then, from the good old days.
If they'd known about Right to Buy they wouldn't have spent so much on them..
I don't know about high spec. Just pulled the tiles off the wall (and the plaster with them), and lets just say that a change of brickie is quite evident in the brickwork :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I'm not old enough to know about this bath waste branch. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock