Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion Heaters... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,
In my first year I've put in about 10 immersion heaters.
I've now had call backs for 4 of them that stopped working.
I only put in incloy and the only two brands about seem to be tesla and backersafe. Both around £25 for 14" element.

What can I do short of completely stopping doing this work? None ever leaked all installed to manufacturer spec but damn things keep tripping stat or wires burning I am losing money on this work.
Which heaters do you guys fit and what kind of guarantee do you offer?

Hi all,
In my first year I've put in about 10 immersion heaters.
I've now had call backs for 4 of them that stopped working.
I only put in incloy and the only two brands about seem to be tesla and backersafe. Both around £25 for 14" element.

What can I do short of completely stopping doing this work? None ever leaked all installed to manufacturer spec but damn things keep tripping stat or wires burning I am losing money on this work.
Which heaters do you guys fit and what kind of guarantee do you offer?
Hi Stanios,

To be honest I install the same brands, tesla , heatre Sadia, incoloy, backer nothing really special.

I would use better wire, I had the same issue and asked ppl on here what type of wire you should use. You'll need heat resistant wire. I usually give 12months warranty on labour. I cannot give warranty on parts as manufacturer will provide warranties.

Burning wires is caused by loose connections, I use 1.5mm heat resistant flex and boot lace ferrules on the stripped end, you can then tighten the terminals better. As for tripping the stat have you been in touch with the manufacturers, tripping is overheating, overheating is a stat problem, stat problem is a manufacturers problem, contact them.

I had em burn on pre-soldered connections, stats trip I come and reset them knowing full well its going to trip again. And its not like you can ask customer to reset the stat.

I'd gladly spend £50 on an immersion that will work for years without any problems but everywhere got loads of 10 quid copper ones and no decent working ones.

I had em burn on pre-soldered connections, stats trip I come and reset them knowing full well its going to trip again. And its not like you can ask customer to reset the stat.

I'd gladly spend £50 on an immersion that will work for years without any problems but everywhere got loads of 10 quid copper ones and no decent working ones.

@Stanios why not using the ones from gledhill or stiebel Eltron ? These are pretty decent. They are not cheap but decent. So in your case you may need to spend around £40-£60 for peace of mind.

I have had similar issues with the stats tripping, the airing cupboards normally require extra ventilation to cure it or tell the customers not to cram it full with stuff. I was given this advice by a manufacturer after calling up to complain

@Stanios why not using the ones from gledhill or stiebel Eltron ? These are pretty decent. They are not cheap but decent. So in your case you may need to spend around £40-£60 for peace of mind.

Do you get them online? My local merchants only stock the cheap brands I mentioned above.

Some of the unvented imm heater stats a ok , if they are the two spade connector type . Namely Thermtec .
But your usual , cotherm, backer , sunvic type are absolute sh@ite .
I have spent loads of time phoning and complaining about them and they are happy to replace but will not pay for any labour .
I feel your pain mate everytime I have to change one I cringe !

Did you tighten the thermostat side after fitting, they can loosen up in transit, and then cause overheating

I have had similar issues with the stats tripping, the airing cupboards normally require extra ventilation to cure it or tell the customers not to cram it full with stuff. I was given this advice by a manufacturer after calling up to complain

That's what I get callouts for, - people putting clothes on top of the immersion cover and the modern stats with the cut out just trip off and need reset.
I also find the factory wired immersions are done by idiots, with the screw down onto the wire insulation, instead of the bare copper wire.
I think cable should be 2.5mm heat resist

Are there any cylinders where a 14" element is too big? I might go with above recomendation and stock some heatre sadia ones just not sure to go with 11" or 14"

Do you check the connection yourself?
I would always disconnect it and check it before I left it.
As Best said above, factory numpties are a danger to us all.

I've had a few break off ( the connection we make to neutral). Because they were poorly soldered.

Bad connection problems create arching and unwanted overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion Heaters... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock