Search the forum,

Discuss imp 3/4 inch to metric 22mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

k13wjd

Hi guys, nice easy one for you ( i hope)

I'm in the middle installing a heating system, and a new bathroom at the same time.

This morning i needed to move some old pipes - these are pipes which used to connect to an old asbestos tank ( one mains cold pipe in, one water feed out)

When the tank was removed, the person simply connected the 2 pipes together, using 22mm HEP plastic fittings. Great. But the pipes appear to be 3/4 inches ID - so about 20.5 ish OD......

However, I need to move the connection, so i can install the rest of the plumbing. So, cut a long story short - whats the industry standard of changing a 3/4 inch pipe to metric. the ideal for me is to buy 2 off, 3/4 imp to 22m metric fittings, Preferibly yorkshire ring solder type ( in keeping with the rest of my new pipework. I can then insert a 15/15/15mm T into the join, creating a feed for my boiler.

any advice ?

as its saturday afternoon the only way out is to use 22mm compression and PTFE tape to take up the slack and really tighten the compression hard then on Monday when yer local merchants is open either get a 22mm x 3/4 solder fitting and do it properly or get some 3/4 soft copper olives

i thought about that, but its not that much hassle to have the water off for tonight, and then get myself robbed at b+q in the morning.

I DID consider annealing a 22mm olive, and giving it a good tighten up.

hopefully b+q sell 3/4 to 22mm solder fittings. failing that, i'll leave it to monday.

yorkshire do a 22 x 3/4 metric to imperial fitting with solder ring.
It used to be called a Y 1M not sure what code it is now YPS1M maybe?

that yorkshire fitting is the one i need - i doubt b+q stock it, but i have a local heating merchant that might have some.

seems my house is a mix+match of metric+imp. fine for the 15mm stuff, but no good for anything else.

i have no idea how the fittings i removed today held in place for so long. they look like std hep h20 push fittings. I can only presume that someone has had the brains to buy a fancy o-ring.

I have a 3/4 inch olive to fit 3/4 pipe into a 22mm compression fitting. The olive has a taper at one end - which way round should it go- should the taper go into the body of the fitting or towards the nut.

Thanks for any advice

Yorkshire number 9

I use metric to imperial adaptor end feed, no need for it to be a yorkshire. Standard metric compression should do the trick aswell

Thank you for your prompt replies - but

The location I have requires compression joints. I know 3/4 olives in 22mm fittings is ok but the olives I have been able to buy are tapered at one end - which way round should the go ?

3/4 olives are colour coded green and Screw Fix and B&Q sell them. Great for old buildings and pipe work. Can you post a pic of the olives you've bought?
Imperial to metric can be achieved by:
Compression
Soldered fitting
JG Speedfit
Brazing or soldering 2 pipe ends

Did you buy them on ebay as it must be 25 years since i saw a tapered olive? Didn't know they still made them.

My merchants still has them from time to time depending were they by from suppose

I bouoght them at the local BuildBase; perhaps I'll throw them away and find another source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to imp 3/4 inch to metric 22mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock