Search the forum,

Discuss internal condensate pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

finaside

Hi,

I had my boiler serviced a few weeks ago and today found water.. or thought it was water coming out the bottom of the boiler.... called an emergency gas engineer out who discovered that the condensate pipe between the trap and heat exchanger had not been put back on after the previous guy serviced it.

My question is (as I forgot to ask the emergency guy)

1) was it unsafe to have the condensate pipe disconnected for 20 odd days?

2) can the acidic condensate which ran into the inside of my boiler, eventually leaking out the bottom, damage any parts of the boiler inside? or indeed the copper pipes just under the boiler?

3) Do I have case against the engineer that serviced my boiler for not replacing the condensate pipe between the trap and heat exchanger?

Many Thanks

It's not good on both counts. Condensate water can corrode metal very quickly. What did the emergency guy say. Did he have a look for any damage

Has it done any damage?? Probably not in that space of time.
Should the guy have put it back? Yes
I wouldn't stress it but maybe don't use him again, that's his loss. I would be more impressed that the guy cleaned the trap, so many don't bother.

But as above "case" ??? What do you want?

Last edited:
Has it done any damage?? Probably not in that space of time.
Should the guy have put it back? Yes
I wouldn't stress it but maybe don't use him again, that's his loss. I would be more impressed that the guy cleaned the trap, so many don't bother.

But as above "case" ??? What do you want?

Either court or sue :D

Was the fibre washer missing or damaged do you know ?

Hi,

I had my boiler serviced a few weeks ago and today found water.. or thought it was water coming out the bottom of the boiler.... called an emergency gas engineer out who discovered that the condensate pipe between the trap and heat exchanger had not been put back on after the previous guy serviced it.

My question is (as I forgot to ask the emergency guy)

1) was it unsafe to have the condensate pipe disconnected for 20 odd days?

2) can the acidic condensate which ran into the inside of my boiler, eventually leaking out the bottom, damage any parts of the boiler inside? or indeed the copper pipes just under the boiler?

3) Do I have case against the engineer that serviced my boiler for not replacing the condensate pipe between the trap and heat exchanger?

Many Thanks
Its a leak that got fixed ,what do you mean by case? you one of those compo i cant be arsed to work sorts who want to see how much they can get out of everyone for your "inconvenience" you sir or madam need to wind said neck in and grow up

Not really hostile but your wording was on the attack which tends to upset trades

Yes I did call but they were not coming out over the Christmas period

When I said case, I meant could I at least ask the original engineer who didn't replace the pipe to cover the call out fee of the second guy who came out and did replace it..... That's all

Ask him. I don't think you'll get far. See what he says

When I said case, I meant could I at least ask the original engineer who didn't replace the pipe to cover the call out fee of the second guy who came out and did replace it..... That's all

What loss or damage can you prove in court? Not much, I suspect.

Not all engineers are perfect.

Did I even mention court?.... What on earth is wrong with the ones on here that have been so ready to jump down my throat! And indeed been abusive! Why are you so defensive of an engineer that did not do a service correctly at the end of the day. As A customer I employed him to do a job and paid him for it. He didn't do the job to a satisfactory level and therefore caused additional costs to ME to try to have it corrected because he would not come out over the Christmas period to see why water was coming out the bottom of the boiler! Why am I in the wrong here????? No not all engineers are perfect. BUT he could have at least checked that all pipes etc were back connected before he finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
well yes, indirectly, you did. You wanted to know if you would have a case against the engy in question. I suggest you`d probably struggle to prove any significant loss or damage.

How long ago was it actually serviced? A couple of weeks to a customer is probably a couple of months in reality. The issue you describe would present itself sooner than the time period described.
Trades are allowed time off. Chit happens. Reasonable customers generally receive reasonable responses. Your posting manner on here reflects in responses received both on and off forum.

I think the op is correct here.
The engineer came, made a mistake and should at least pay for the call out for the second engineer. As he couldn't come out himself. If he had, he wouldn't charge for rectifying the fault.
We all make mistakes and it's the mark of who you are, as to how you sort your cockups.

There has been no issues with your problem, so I would ring the installer and ask him to pay for the call out.

I think the op is correct here.
The engineer came, made a mistake and should at least pay for the call out for the second engineer. As he couldn't come out himself. If he had, he wouldn't charge for rectifying the fault.
We all make mistakes and it's the mark of who you are, as to how you sort your cockups.

There has been no issues with your problem, so I would ring the installer and ask him to pay for the call out.

I totally agree mate. I just think a lot of us didn't like the tone

20 odd days though would you leave a condensate pipe dripping under your boiler for that long this time of year it would be a bucketful of water every day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to internal condensate pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return temperature to the boiler are less than 55 degrees to ensure condensing is occurring. But in the service menu it only shows the primary heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. My plumbers a nice guy and shortly going to fit new boiler. My concern is no obvious way to connect condensing pipe. No down pipes on my property or drains. He's considering letting it go to ground between two houses. I m not sure.!!. Dont think he has any alternatives. Any ideas or...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an 20yrs heat only potterton 50e boiler with 196x old house - suspended floor - designer radiators, open vent system and hot water cylinder on first floor with two motorised valves and stat. I want to replace the boiler with minimal cost and max efficiency so thinking of replacing...
Replies
Views
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock